Sony Handycam Ilife '06 Or '08?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by juice76, Oct 3, 2007.

1. juice76 macrumors newbie

i just bought a sony HDD DCR-SR200 and see that i need to connect with a firewire not usb.. can i use ILIFE '06 or do i need to upgrad to '08?

also does anyone know if the SR200 is compatible? i see that ilfe supports the SR100 an SR300 but no mention of the 200?

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

if you connect with firewire, then you should be able to use either 06 or 08. if it's usb then you gotta have 08

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Not true. The camera in question is a hard drive based camera which I assume means it is AVCHD based. If so then your only option is iMovie '08 or FCP 6.

Edit : It seems the camera is MPEG-2 based not AVCHD. Not sure what that means, although I am inclined to say iMovie '08 is your best bet but you can always try it out on iMovie '06 first.

4. juice76 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i just purchased iife08 as this seems to be the most common solution that i have found.. apparently both mpeg 2 and avchd are recognised by '08. do you know if i need a firewire or can i just use a usb with '08?

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you can use firewire or usb with 08

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Does the Sony even have Firewire on it? I was almost certain that all of the Sony MPEG-2 and AVCHD camcorders only had USB.

ft

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's what i thought also. that's why i said 06 should work if it had firewire

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Well, even if it did have Firewire, it wouldn't work with iMovie'06. iMovie'06 only works with DV, HDV, and MPEG-4. As far as I know, all HDD and DVD camcorders record only in MPEG-2 or AVCHD, neither of which work with iMovie'06.