Sony Handycam & iMovie HD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by leafy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. leafy macrumors newbie

I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder (model DCR-TRV250) and I'm trying to import video into iMovie HD. Previously this camcorder worked fine with iMovie, but after upgrading to iMovie HD (from the iLife '06 DVD) I can't get the program to recognize the camera as an input device.

I connect the camera through the firewire port, turn it on in VCR mode, and the only option I get for importing video is from the iSight camera. The screen on the camcorder has a DV IN notation when the camera is connected to the iMac, so it appears that I could export video from iMovie HD to the camera, but not from the camcorder to iMovie HD.

Any help would be appreciated, as I am in need of getting this video imported, edited, and burned to DVD ASAP.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. greendj macrumors newbie

RE:Sony Handycam & iMovie HD

I had the same problem. My firewire cable was bad. I replaced it and have been working fine. Dan

3. leafy thread starter macrumors newbie

Cable

Thanks. I'll have to try that when I get home today, provided I can find my other firewire cable. A new cable would be a lot cheaper than getting a newer camcorder. Though a newer camcorder would be nice...

4. greendj macrumors newbie

Re:

Before you buy a new firewire cable (they aren't cheap), plug the camcorder into the MAC and move the cable around (especially around the camcorder end), and see if you can get the camcorder to connect to the MAC. You then can verify if it is the cable. Also see if a local PC tech store will test the cable for you to be sure that is what it is.

Dan

5. leafy thread starter macrumors newbie

Cable

I found my other firewire cable and plugged it in, and it seems to be working fine. This cable's just a lot shorter. But it's long enough for me to plug the camera in, which is the important part.

Problem solved! Yay!

6. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

I recently bought a 6' 6-pin to 6-pin FW cable that encluded 2 4-pin adapters at Target for $9.90. It works great.

7. mikkelrda macrumors newbie

I Need Help!!!

Hey,
    i have a Sony DCT-TRV22 (it's a mini DV cam) when i plug it into my Mac via firewire,my iMovie or my Mac isn't able to pick it up. Basically i can't import my videos. Its not my cable because it works on my PC just fine. Can anyone Help me a.s.a.p! its urgent!

8. budster32 macrumors newbie

Problem

Hey I recently bought a Cannon ZR830, and it came with a USB instead of Firewire, When i tried to connect to my IMac G5 it didn't reconize it in Imovie, Finder or the program that came with the camera. So then I tried another USB cable, and it still didn't work. Do I need to buy a firewire cable? Can someone Please help me?

9. Raffles macrumors member

:eek:

I paid $36 for not even all of that at Best Buy!!!!

:eek:

10. skillset73 macrumors newbie

Resolution to problem?

I also purchased a Canon zr830, which doesn't seem to be recognized by my Macbook Pro. I tried both the USB and Firewire cables. Were you--or anyone else--able to discover what the issue was? Can someone please assist?

11. macmer macrumors newbie

Sony Handycam HDD DCR-SR62

Im going so nuts!!!!

I recived as a present the Sony Handycam HDD model DCR-SR62 and started filming videos. When I wanted to transfer them into my MacBook, they were in .mpg format. I want to edit it in iMovie but it is justo impossible. I have been trying and investigating and what i know is that i need to buy ilife, but im not shure if it will work with the model of my camera. Im very desperate.

I have another options wich is that i have already intaled the Sony Handycam software in a PC and i can see my videos perfectly but when i want to import them or drag them into Windows Movie Make it just wont recognize the file.

The only thing i desperatley want is a way to edit with titles, music, transitions and everything!!!

Please.

12. bohemyo macrumors newbie

Sony HC7-HDR and Imovie HD

My experience is confusing.

Sony HDR-HC7 connects to Imovie HD when I am transferring HD but... when the camcorder is plugged, Imovie gives me the message that it is sending half-frames (whatever that means). It tells me to disconnect and re-connect all cables and if all fail, press reset. All fail. I reset and does not work. The only thing that works is if the camcorder is powered by battery. Then, if you turn the camcorder off and on, you cannot click the play button on the Imovie. It turns gray. The only button you can click is the import button. And even if you click import, nothing comes out anyway. Your only choice is to open another imovie file, drag the clip you get there to the first file.

No problems at all with transferring standard definition movies from the same camcorder. It just acts up on the HD side.

It cannot be the cable. The cable works fine when used on the standard definition and also on the Optura 600. I have two Sony HDR-HC7 and get the same results.

I was planning on renting the Canon HV30 but after reading some of postings, I figure, it is just some quirk on the software side on both mac and Sony. I use a Powerbook 1ghz Titanium on OS 9.2.