Sony Handycam USB Connection Problems with MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by asmilingirl, Jan 5, 2010.

1. asmilingirl macrumors newbie

I just got a MacBook and it does not have firewire port. I have been unable to import movies from my Sony HandyCam Digital Video Camera Recorder (DCR-TRV280 NTSC). It takes small Digital 8 tapes and has USB streaming.

Nothing happens when I turn on iMovie. The only place I see the camera being recognized is when I go to About this Mac in the USB port I do see Sony when the camera is plugged into the USB port.

Any help or direction on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I did call Applecare and the representative I talked to just read online forum posts and was unable to give me an answer.

Thank you!

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I'm pretty sure that Sony's implementation of USB streaming only works with their software ... which happens to be Windows-only.

In this case, I think you're out of luck unless you have access to a Mac with FW (assuming your Sony has FW), or you install Windows on your MB to use Sony's software. Or perhaps you have access to a Windows PC to test the USB streaming feature.

One last thing, I'm pretty sure that USB streaming will result in an inferior video file. I think USB streaming is limited to 320x240 ... although I'm not sure what the resolution of D8 footage is.

3. asmilingirl thread starter macrumors newbie

ideas

Thank you for the response. Not good news in the camera situation. Any ideas of a good video camera that can connect to a MacBook via USB?

Thanks!