Sony HD camcorder and iMovie. Its seems to detect when it wants to?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by maf2k8, Jun 21, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok i am confused here. I finally got my Macbook Pro ( late 2009 model ) and iMovie 09 to detect my Sony HDR CX-150 camcorder.

I set the camcorder to record HD videos to the SD card and not the camcorders hard drive, that way i can just pop out the SD card and pop it into my SD card slot on my MBP.

Well i had about 10 short videos ( about 6 minute clips ) on the SD card...I was trying for the life of my to import them into iMovie...no matter what i did it would NOT detect the SD card OR the camera...

So i imported them to my Windows 7 machine. I then deleted them off the card, I recorded a quick 1 minute clip with the camera to try it again with iMovie and this time, it detected the SD card and imported the ( mts file ) without a problem...

What gives? i had about 10 videos on the card and it would not detect the camera or the card but when i have just 1 video on there it detected without an issue?

Am i missing something here or doing something wrong?

Yeah i know i can Handbrake and other programs to convert my MTS files but i much rather save time and have iMovie just take them straight off the card or camcorder ( like they normally do ) no idea though why this time i had an issue?

2. dzurn macrumors newbie

3rd Rock from the Sun, Western Wisconsin USA
    Sorry to resurrect a long-dead thread, but I had been Googling for a long time to figure out this problem.

I found my solution was that the USB cable had to be DISCONNECTED from the computer before attaching the camera!

I know, simple. But my USB cable is short, and the connector is on the back of my new iMac, so I left it attached and just tried reattaching the camera (even going through all the Sony-recommended steps here http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?&info_id=734&mdl=HDRCX150)

I didn't have to delete SD photos, SD Movies, or anything else, just change how I attached the USB cable. Now it shows up in Imovie '11 just fine. Finally! :)

Darryl