Sony HDR-CX110 and Mac's

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MSM Hobbes, Dec 23, 2010.

1. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Santa will be bringing this camcorder to two boys tonight. We've the iMac and MB [both ~3 yo; will be getting a new(er) iMac and/or Mac Pro in the coming year, mainly for more digital imaging / graphics horsepower & s/w capabilities]. So, with that said, are there any hints, suggestions, tips, recommendations, etc. regarding on what to do, what NOT to do, in regards to the camcorder's battery, recording, downloading, etc.? And/or anything related to the Apple - such as better software to use? Device will be used per their devious hearts and minds content, along with family, vacation, school, etc. footage. Thanks.

2. shorafix macrumors member

This Link to Wikipedia may be interesting for you.

Moreover, iMovie as well as FCE and FCP do require to import or "log and transfer" AVCHD content only from the original file structure of your video takings. Those ACHD clips are then transcoded e.g. into AIC which is easier to edit. If you want to edit the very same takings on another editing suite from Apple, better keep the complete file structure in order not to sacrifice the nice quality of your brand new cam.

There are alternative software solutions including Adobe Premiere Elements 9 for Mac or even Premiere Pro CS5 which can cope directly with your original .mts files. A trail version of Premiere Elements including AVCHD support is available from Adobe. Please try out before you decide.

P.S.: please excuse my poor English, since I am from Germany
    Season Greetings from Frankfurt!

3. MSM Hobbes thread starter macrumors 6502

shorafix - danke vielmals :) . BTW, your English is great,,, much better than the dozen or so words I know of Deutsch. What you've posted will be of much help, as my knowledge of this digital video world is nil.

PS: and a frohe Weihnachten to you and yours.

4. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

because this is tapeless and sounds it will be used for family (important) stuff, be sure to have Hard drive back ups. There are boxes out there that will house two hard drives and you can back one up onto the other using time machine.

5. BigRig macrumors member

BigRig

I just bought this one for myself and I cant transfer any video from the camcorder to my mac. Im really not very pleased right now... anybody know how or what to do?

6. resom macrumors member

I just got this and was able to transfer the videos easier than my previous camcorders. I just plugged it in by USB and opened imovie. Have you tried using imovie yet?

7. shorafix macrumors member

What is your intention?

If you just like to watch .mts files, use VLC Player.

If you like to edit your video, use iMovie, FinalCut Express, FinalCut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 or Premiere Elements 9 for Mac.

If you like to transcode your .mts files into anything else, use Shedworx VoltaixHD for Mac.

8. BigRig macrumors member

BigRig

Oh geez! I thought iphoto would automatically open and transfer the video files. I never even thought to open iMovie, now it works perfectly. I feel a bit on the n00b side now, thanks for the replies, I'm happy again :D

Although now, when playing the file/s in iMovie I am noticing that there is a slight *pause* (like the picture freezes for a split second) every 5-6 seconds during play back. It's not very smooth or fluid as it should be??? The files play fine on the camcorder itself w/o this effect, any ideas on this?

9. resom macrumors member

Could it be your computer? Have you tried uploading a clip to youtube to see if it's doing the pause or reimporting them? Sounds strange since I don't have this issue with mine. Good luck!