Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICutWithMacs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
hello i am looking at getting a new video camera. should i get the canon t2i dslr that shoots video or the sony hdr-fx7. now im kinda leaning more to the t2i because of shallow field-of-depth. Thanks guys

itsthenewdc

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
hello i am looking at getting a new video camera. should i get the canon t2i dslr that shoots video or the sony hdr-fx7. now im kinda leaning more to the t2i because of shallow field-of-depth. Thanks guys

If you're going to spend that much for a FX7, why not just get the EOS 7D?

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
It depends on what you plan on shooting with your camera. If it's for just short films and controlled situations, then the t2i is a great option. If you plan on doing any event work or other videography where the situations might not be as controlled, then a dedicated video camera would be much better.

The new dslrs make for some good digital cinema cameras, but there is a steep learning curve if you're not very familiar with still cameras. They don't make for very great dedicated video cameras.

I would also recommend the t2i over the 7D if you're just planning on using it for video. The money you would save over the 7D could go to some more lenses, an audio recorder, a viewfinder, or maybe some support gear.

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
If you're going to spend that much for a FX7, why not just get the EOS 7D?

If all he wants to do is video, it'd be dumb to pay more to get a 7D. Go with the T2i and spend the rest of your budget on better glass (manual focus primes are seriously the way to go for DSLR filmmaking, especially Zeiss and used Nikon, Pentax and Leica w/ adapters), audio equipment, a good tripod, and other equipment like a Z-Finder and follow focus unit.

By the way, I have the 7D, and I do mostly video. If I were again in the market, I'd go with the T2i. I'll probably wait for the 5D mark III and upgrade at that point, though.

ICutWithMacs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
thanks

thanks guys. ive decided to go for the t2i. do you think i should get it refurb?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.