Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McBob

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Wales
Hi, I'm a student studying doc film and i want/need a camera.

I've narrowed my choice down to the FX7 out of possibilities such as the cannon A1 and Sony FX1 and VX2100. I still cant seem to bring my self to a final decision.

My thinking for the FX7 winning is its portability, looks, ease of use, familiarity and cost. Yet i am extremely tempted towards the A1, its gained much support and a number of rave reviews and i would love to join the crowd. Its just as it stands on Amazon the FX7 can be picked up for £1500 and the A1 for £2400. When these cameras were first released i believe the list prices varied much less. £900 is a big difference to me and the A1 is really at the top of my budget.

In a camera I'm really looking for manual controls, larger viewfinder, HD (this is the camera im going to learn my trade from and its important that im familiar with the Format that i suspect i will be working in when im older) and good audio. I do realise that the sony can be upgraded to xlr with a number of accessory shoes whith balanced inputs. When I can afford/need to buy better mics.

Im just thinking out loud but if anyone could help with a decision... let me know!

xRob

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
iirc the FX7 has CMOS sensors instead of CCDs. Personally I'd rather have 3 CCD than 3 CMOS. THe FX1 has CCDs.

However, if I was buying a camera in that price range I'd buy the Canon XH-A1. I like Canon cameras the best, and it has the built in XLRs that I dont think the FX7 has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.