Sony HDR-HC3, video from dvtapes transferable through USB chord?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by anon1111, Mar 31, 2010.

1. anon1111 macrumors newbie

Hello There, I am new to Video editing but I have a Sony HDR-HC3 and I was hoping someone could tell me if I can transfer the video recorded on my camera on the dvtapes through the USB cable? because I don't have the firewire cable and just ordered the USB directly from Sony for 50$ thinking that this was the chord I needed to get the video off of my DVTapes with... in the "aboutthismac" menu the camera is recognizable, but on the actual screen on the camera it only gives me the option of "memory stick" or "picture8" im hoping that you can still get the video through this chord otherwise I just wasted 50$ ...Thank you very much

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You paid 50USD for one USB cable?

They can be had for less than 5€ at some places.

And you need a Firewire cable (can be had for less than 10€ at some places) to transfer DV footage from the camera to the Mac.

But you need to have a Firewire 400 or 800 port, so if you have the Unibody White MacBook (introduced 10/2009) or the Aluminium 13" MacBook (from 10/2008 to 6/2009), you're out of luck.

The USB port on the camera is only for transferring pictures and other stuff store on the memory card.

3. batone macrumors newbie

I too have a Sony HDR-HC3 and "Spinnerlys" is quite correct in that you can only download video to your computer via a Fire Wire cable, or i.Link as Sony call it.
    You need a cable that will fit the "i.Link" ("HDV/DV") slot, which is above the slot marked "HDMI out", at one end, and the standard Fire Wire (400/800) at the other. I was lucky in that I found one in a pile that came with a back up drive. Sony only included a USB cable with the Camera, ("i.Link cable optional") which seem's strange as you can only download video via FW :(