Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazysah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
Hello guys...

I have been using the Sony HDR-HC7 for about a year now...

The tapes that came in the bundle with the camera were JVC High-Definition Tapes...

Now I am wondering... what are the best tapes to use for the Sony HDR-HC7 and are HD tapes bette than the normal tapes?

Thanks
Crazysah

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
I have had the HDR-HC9 (updated HC7) for around 3 months now. I have bought some of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Definition-Minidv-Videocassette-2-Pack/dp/B000BNUDXK/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_b

As well as just plain HDV tapes. The HDV tapes supposedly have more ferric oxide and less drop outs but honestly I can't tell the diference over the cheap tapes. I would use the plain for everyday recording of stuff around the house and use the high grade for the really important events in life like weddings, once in a lifetime vacations etc.

Treat the tapes right (avoid excess heat, cold, humidity) and they will treat you right.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Hello guys...

I have been using the Sony HDR-HC7 for about a year now...

The tapes that came in the bundle with the camera were JVC High-Definition Tapes...

Now I am wondering... what are the best tapes to use for the Sony HDR-HC7 and are HD tapes bette than the normal tapes?

Thanks
Crazysah

have you been using JVC HD tapes for a year? If so i would stick with these. Hopping around between brands is never a good idea, they use different lubricants etc and while it won't break your camera it certainly won't do it any good imo.

HD tapes might just be marketing magic however i'm of the opinion that HD tapes are of better quality than SD tapes. When they cut the sheet to make into film they use the middle 2/3s to make the best quality tape and the edges which might be slightly inferior are made into the cheaper tape.

Crazysah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
Ok guys...

I need a ASAP reply...

I have been using the JVC DVM60..I don't know if they are high-definition or not...

I need to know which are the best tapes that are available from Amazon.com and that I can get really soon. I don't think the JVC DVM60's are available so what are the best ones that I can change too???

Thanks
Crazysah

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
just go for any JVC tape. I'm not an expert on JVC tape so i can't be more specific - but any JVC tape that is well reviewed on Amazon will be fine.

If you want to buy the best tape then the Sony DigiMaster tapes are my choice.

Crazysah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2007
Well... which tapes do you recommend me switching too? I want tapes of a higher quality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.