Sony HDR-HCR and FC HD Express

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by aupeterta, Dec 11, 2007.

1. aupeterta macrumors newbie

Ho Folks,

I've seen a variety of opinions expressed about whether (or not) you can connect the Sony to the iMac using FC HD Express. I've tried without success.

Could someone be definitive and it the answer is YES, could youplease provide detailed instruction on how to connect and import.

Many thanks to all for considering this question/.

AU

2. demallien macrumors regular

YES. That is all.

But seriously, I'm currently using a Sony HDR-HC3 and FCE3.5 together without any major dramas.

Read the manual for how to do a capture, the instructions are pretty clear, but in summary, it's something like:

1) connect your Sony to the Mac using a firewire cable
    2) turn on the Sony, and switch it to playback mode
    3) if necessary, rewind the cassette
    4) Open FCE, and configure it for HD (simplified configuration in the Final Cut menu(I think).
    5) In the File menu (I think) of FCE, there is an option called 'Capture'. This is what you are going to use to capture your images. This should bring up a window which has a capture button. Press 'Capture', and you should start downloading the video.

The details might be a little hazy - it's not an operation that I do all the time, perhaps 3-4 times per year, but the general idea is correct. Again, look in the user manual for 'Capture', and it gives you all of the necessary details. But be assured that your Sony is compatible with FCE HD