Sony HDR-TG3E reviews?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by speakerwizard, Apr 27, 2008.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

2. mojo678 macrumors newbie

Sony HDR TG3e

Just bought a Sony TG3e and am using iMovie '08 to edit - no problem. I have noticed in quite a few forums that owners of AVCHD cameras have been venting their frustration about the conversion / burning of their footage, pre and post-edit.

I noted another thread stating you can output AVCHD to DVD using Toast 9 - this would be fine as by the time you have watched 20mins, or so, of home movie most people are losing the will to live! Has anyone tried this and does it work OK? Are there other support solutions on the horizon in the near future?

I suppose I'll have to wait for some cheaper blu-ray internal burners for my Mac Pro.....oh and buy a blu-ray player for my TV.....(gulp)......this is an expensive game, isn't it!

Other than that, the TG3e is a great bit of kit. Because of its size, you end up getting footage that you would ordinarily wouldn't - which is great.

It eats up major footage on your hard drive though. I am still labouring with 250GB but will looking at adding some more internal memory soon. Any recommends for internal Mac Pro hard drive, good value etc.

Thanks

Mac Pro 2.66 quad. 5GB Ram. iMovie '08

3. charles4515 macrumors member

I read that it was bad in low light and the auto focus was lazy. What do you think?

4. mojo678 macrumors newbie

I have not given it a proper run out yet so will see about the low light issue. I think people get too hung up about this anyway. I probably won't be doing too much of low light anyway. As for focus, it doesn't snap as quickly as some I have used but most of my footage so far has been bang on.

The big advantage of this type of camera is I don't have to drag the video camera bag everywhere which means more spontaneous filming. There will always be some compromise.

I would still like to know about archiving the footage to disc (dvd for short clips less than 20 mins) Anyone offer some advice?

Thanks