Sony HDRSR11 or Canon HG10?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Spike099, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Spike099 macrumors regular

Hey guys! I'll be buying a new camcorder very soon. From my research, my best options seem to be the HDRSR11 or HG10.

I would like to know which one of these cameras integrates with the Mac better? I heard somewhere that converting AVCHD footage with iMovie increases the filesize 7-10 times!?! Is that true? Would this happen with both cameras? I was looking at bestbuy and futureshop websites for prices, and in their descriptions it says the HDRSR11 is not compatible with iMovie '08. Is this just a misprint? The camera must be able to import into iMovie or FCE. I was reading that this isn't a problem with the HG10.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

2. Spike099 thread starter macrumors regular

HG10 it is

For those who are concerned! Hah, i'm pretty sure no one is. I went with a HG10. It was 270 dollars cheaper, and I've only heard good things about it. Just tested it out now, connected, copied and played my captured footage in iMovie '08 without a hitch. Works great! Can't wait to get out tomorrow during the day and get some day footage!

3. RafMac macrumors regular

So what is the verdict for your new camera so far? How well is it integrated with your mac and how about file size and does it maintain HD quality for preview on your TV or Mac. Any Pros and Cons?

4. finishlinewest macrumors newbie

no sony

I tried the Sony but FCP didnt recognize the files, neither did iMovie FWIW.

i ordered a Canon HG30 and will pick it up today.