Sony HDSR12 NTSC to PAL videos

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ildondeigiocchi, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ok so here's the issue. One of my relatives will be buying the new 20 or 24 inch iMac when it is released in Europe. Now they just bought a Sony HD camcorder HDSR12 in Canada. Now he will be watching movies on his HDTV. The man who sold us the camcorder said he will not be able to watch the videos if he has the HD camcorder plugged directly into his HDTV because of different formatting NTSC and PAL. Europe uses NTSC and North America uses NTSC. So when he'll be importing the videos onto his new iMac via USB. So iMovie will be able to capture the video? Right? Then all he has to do is select the PAL format when burning with iDVD! That's it? Or will there be problems. Urgent help is needed. Thanks.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

3. -DH macrumors 65816

I STRONGLY recommend they return the camera and purchase a PAL model. The amount of time alone to convert NTSC to PAL makes it worth buying the right camera.

-DH

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

This is almost certainly a load of FUD. There is no "PAL" or "NTSC" with HD. There is 50i and 60i where there used to be PAL 720x576 and NTSC 720x480 - in other words, a frame-rate difference (just as there is with standard def PAL & NTSC), not a resolution difference. But most HDTVs will happily handle either.

Corrected.

Nevertheless, if the intended product is standard definition DVDs in PAL, then matching framerates is a good idea, as DH has suggested: conversion is time consuming and potentially damaging to the health of your video. In other words, use a 60i camcorder for NTSC DVDs, and a 50i camcorder for PAL DVDs.

5. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I also have a regular Sony handycam and have uploaded many videos on my Mac Pro. I imported them using NTSC in iMovie but burned them in PAL format. Shouldn't that work for the HD video as well?

6. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Yes, but as DH has pointed out, this just adds extra time for conversion on top of the iDVD render, and converting between framerates is a bit of a last ditch.

7. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

But it will work right?

8. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ok so basically is this what he'll have to do...
    1. Select Preferences in iMovie to PAL instead of NTSC
    2. Import the Videos via USB in iMovie.
    3. Add touchups and effects and publish video.
    4. Open up iDVD and set to PAL format for Burn.
    5. Burn DVD and play in DVD player.

If this is all that is needed to do it's pretty simple. Or am I wrong?

9. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

60i and 50i are frame rates, not television system standards. PAL and NTSC are television system standards that have different frame rates and many other different things.

10. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Yes, but they are standard defintion video standards.

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Ok, just I think that saying that frame rates replaced television standards is a bit confusing for some.

12. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

You're absolutely right, that was badly worded on my part. But the insistence of manufacturers and pundits on describing HD video electronics in terms of PAL and NTSC is also misleading.

All the best for the new year (fingers crossed we all keep our jobs!),
    Andrew.

13. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

No harm, no foul. Happy New Year to you too. I have no job so it can't be too bad for me but you have my luck!