Sony HVR-HD1000E and iMac connections

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MarkZank, Sep 20, 2010.

1. MarkZank macrumors newbie

I have just bought a Sony HD100e camera and need to purchase an i-link cable to connect to my iMac (i3 3.2GHz processor). I have been told that such a connection is not possible.

Is anyone aware of issues or problems obtaining such a cable? I have spoken to my local camera shop and they have mentioned that there is no i-link cable available that will talk to a iMac. This does not make sense to me. The iMac has a Firewire 800 port wich should be a 9pin connector and the Camera has its normal i-link connector. (From what I can understand i-Link is Sony's name for Firewire)

I will be capturing directly to FCP v7 via HD.

I have a MacbookPro but do not really want to use that to capture if I can avoid it.

Please help

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

i.Link is Sony's name for a 4-pin Firewire connector. You can indeed use a 4-pin to 9-pin Firewire cable, they should cost less than 10€, but some brands offer them for up to 20€ and more. I do use such cable to digitise several hundreds of DV cassettes and it works without major hiccups.

Btw, what do you mean with "I will be capturing directly to FCP v7 via HD"?
    I mean the HD part, is it short for High Definition or Hard Disk in your vocabulary? If you meant Hard Disk, HDD is a better abbreviation for Hard Disk Drive and more widely used and not being able to be confused with HD (High Definition).

Anyway, if you use an external HDD to capture the footage on (highly recommended, as using the internal HDD is not giving you the best speeds due to the OS using it too), know that you can daisy-chain Firewire devices, meaning you connect the HDD to your Mac via 9-pin to 9-pin Firewire cable and connect the camera to the HDD via a 4-pin to 9-pin cable, assuming you have a Firewire 800 HDD with two Firewire ports.

Example of a 4-pin to 9-pin Firewire cable
    [​IMG]

Btw, Firewire also goes by the official designation of IEEE1394.

3. MarkZank thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all of your assistance.
    I managed to source a 4 to 9 pin cable and all is working well.
    When I mentioned HD I was referring to High Definition within FCP, and was not quite sure if I would be able to get FCP configured correctly to talk to the camera. But in any event got it all right and managed to capture the video footage.

I do not use the internal HDD for anything regarding FCP or any of the other programs. I have two external HDD's one for my scratch and render files, the other one for my Project files. A lesson I leant from Larry Jordan on how to configure FCP correctly :)

Once again thank you for your reply. Being in South Africa can pose challenges around trying to source the right cables. Most people here have no idea what Firewire 800 is they say it does not exist :p

Well back to my editing and completing my work for the day!

4. brigadoon macrumors newbie

Mark im having problems connecting my hvr hd1000e to my imac also using a 4 pin to 9 pin firewire cable , what settings did you use at the FCP end ?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated !

5. sirsloth macrumors newbie

Source 4 pin to 9 pin FW

Hi

I have two brand new Mac Pro's (2010) loaded with FCP 7.03 and am using a DVCAM deck with i.link connection. The 4 pin to 9 pin FW cable I am using isn't working... I think the quality or pin config of these cables are the problem.

Can you let me know the brand of cable or where you sourced the 4 pin to 9 pin cables from please so I can try them with my Mac's 800 port.

Thanks
    Chris