Sony ICFCD3iP iPhone Alarm Clock Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by swdesai21, Mar 27, 2009.

1. swdesai21 macrumors newbie

Hello, friends,

I am interested in purchasing the Sony ICFCD3iP, which is an alarm clock that allows you to connect an iPhone to it.

I had hoped that there would be a comprehensive review of the product, but I can't find anything but a handful of Amazon reviews.

I'm hoping the MR community can help me out. I've even tried contacting Sony about this product, but their customer service is dismal. (Which is weird because I want information about one of their products).

Then again, I was considering the Xtrememac Luna X2, which looks great, but is never in stock and their customer service is dismal too. So, I guess that's life then.

If you own the ICFCD3iP, do you like it?
    Pros/Cons/Regrets?

Specific Questions I have:

1) Does the clock display the date? Where? How? (Is it displayed Mar-23 or simply Monday)?

2) I have an old iPod (3G with click wheel) whose battery is on its way out (not dead, but slowly dying). I plan on keeping it connected to your clock radio as a form of life support. Is the ICFCD3iP amenable to such usage?

3) I also have an iPhone (not the 3G one, the old one). Will it connect to the ICF-CD3iPSIL? Will there be GSM interference?

4) Reviews indicate that the display on this clock is very bright. I realize it has a dimmer. Is it also possible to turn the display off completely so it is not illuminated at night?

Thanks!!!!

Swati

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Oh there's a thread which mcmanus got me sold on that product, it was discussed here.

I'll answer your questions...

If you own the ICFCD3iP, do you like it?
    Pros/Cons/Regrets?
    Hmm, I posted a review of the product on the Sony Style website itself (here) as well as on the link above.

Specific Questions I have:

1) Does the clock display the date? Where? How? (Is it displayed Mar-23 or simply Monday)?
    The clock won't display the date by default, you need to press the (Snooze) button on top and then it will display "3-23" for 2 seconds, then "2009" both will be shown in the main screen. Now the day of the week is shown above the time, abbreviated like "Mon" or "Sat"

2) I have an old iPod (3G with click wheel) whose battery is on its way out (not dead, but slowly dying). I plan on keeping it connected to your clock radio as a form of life support. Is the ICFCD3iP amenable to such usage?
    Hmm haven't owned that iPod yet, but as long as you have an adapter to connect it to a universal dock, it should work cause the dock for the Sony alarm clock is as big as the universal dock, it just comes with an iPhone adapter.

3) I also have an iPhone (not the 3G one, the old one). Will it connect to the ICF-CD3iPSIL? Will there be GSM interference?
    No idea about this since I don't have the original iPhone. For the 3G though there's no GSM interference.

4) Reviews indicate that the display on this clock is very bright. I realize it has a dimmer. Is it also possible to turn the display off completely so it is not illuminated at night?
    People say it is bright, even at the lowest possible setting. But for me it's okay. But when I compared it to my previous alarm clock, it is indeed bright haha. You can't turn the display off completely.