Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
A whole bunch of articles from last spring saying the pro max would get this sensor, however a few more recent articles saying it’s going to stick with the iPhone 14 sensor…. I want to know because I have a Vaonis Hestia telescope coming that uses iPhones Camera and the more sensitive the chip the better it will perform…. So this just a question of whether to upgrade or not… currently have the 13 mini

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
At this stage no one knows the exact sensor details of the upcoming iPhones…

JotaMR

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Sensor IMX903 is the key. I hope it on 15 Ultra.

I would not understand the same sensor IMX803 for regular iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Ultra.

Maybe dual selfie camera (two front cameras) on Ultra too.

dare100em

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2023
The current status of the leaks clearly indicates that there will be no new main sensor in the iPhone 15 pro/ Ultra and that the IMX803 will remain. However, the IMX803 was an enormous leap compared to it's predecessor in terms of sensor size. At 1/1.28" it is almost as big as the 41MP sensor of the Nokia 808 pure view was (1/1.2").

The size of the IMX903 is currently speculated at 1/1.14" and thus would be a significantly smaller jump purely in terms of sensor size than between the IMX703 (iPhone 13 pro/ iPhone 14) and the IMX 803 (iPhone 14 pro/ iPhone 15 pro).

Also, the current speculation is that the "normal" iPhone 15 will get a 48MP sensor, but it's smaller than the IMX803 of the iPhone 14 / 15 pro / pro max / Ultra.

What must also be taken into account is that larger sensors with a specific focal length build deeper (the lens must be farer appart from the sensor), which is why the focal length of 24 mm for the IPhone 14 pro/ pro max is already very small (iPhone 13 pro was 26 mm). Historically, over 30mm (iPhone 7: 35mm) was more common for the standart main camera. Even shorter focal lengths based in larger sensors increasingly turn the main sensors into ultra-wide sensors with all the disadvantages, or the camera hump becomes more and more extreme. This is also the background of telescopic sensors.

Last edited:

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Thanks… I just have issues telling the difference between leaks or some guy claiming to know…. The report back in April presented it as highly likely too before someone else claimed unlikely…. Obviously the 903 would be better for my purpose so perhaps will just wait for the iPhone 16 if they scrapped it…. I honestly was not quite ready to give up my 13 mini anyway…. Its sensor is still compatible with hestia so it may not be that big a deal. Hestia is kind of a box style scope that you simply sit the phone on… it has a iOS app called gravity and it captures like 100 1 sec exposures and stacks them… the images are pretty impressive for just a 30mm manual scope, it’s also pretty cheap… currently on Indiegogo for 189 and ships in time for the eclipse

Reactions: dare100em

dare100em

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2023
That’s understandable. For me it’s time to upgrade. I’m still using a Xr which I bought new in early 2019 with 128 Gb and it’s reaching the limits.

The iPhone 15 Ultra will have Upgrades in every camera sensor compared to even a iPhone 13 Pro, be it main, ultra wide or selfie cam. Even the telescope will be new. In respect to the camera the only improvement of the iPhone 16 may be an even larger main sensor.

Furthermore, while the iPhone 16 will have a larger screen on paper it’s in reality just an even longer screen without getting any wider. This may be great for watching movies or playing games. However I think these extreme aspect ratios are no longer any advantage. The 16 Ultra will be 165 mm long instead of the 160 mm of the iPhone 15 Ultra while being nearly the same width.

dare100em

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2023
This sensor will likely be for 16 pro line
That’s nearly sure now. There are of course always uncertainties but from what we now the IMX903 will be the main sensor for the 16 pro lineup while the telescope sensor of the 15 pro Ultra will go to the normal 16 pro as well. Furthermore, there is some speculation about a larger ultra wide sensor in the 16 pros lineup too, which makes perfect sense.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
That’s nearly sure now. There are of course always uncertainties but from what we now the IMX903 will be the main sensor for the 16 pro lineup while the telescope sensor of the 15 pro Ultra will go to the normal 16 pro as well. Furthermore, there is some speculation about a larger ultra wide sensor in the 16 pros lineup too, which makes perfect sense.

Think it makes sense next year being called ultra. All new sensors from the sounds

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Curious as to what kind of decisions have been made given the new telephoto capability. Specifically, what will the default zoom levels be. I like 3x because it's approximately 75mm so you can get that nice tight look without going full telephoto like the rumored 6x.

0.5x 1x 2x 6x? Maybe the telephoto module has a dual focal length of 3x and 6x? Remains to be seen.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
The current status of the leaks clearly indicates that there will be no new main sensor in the iPhone 15 pro/ Ultra and that the IMX803 will remain. However, the IMX803 was an enormous leap compared to it's predecessor in terms of sensor size. At 1/1.28" it is almost as big as the 41MP sensor of the Nokia 808 pure view was (1/1.2").

The size of the IMX903 is currently speculated at 1/1.14" and thus would be a significantly smaller jump purely in terms of sensor size than between the IMX703 (iPhone 13 pro/ iPhone 14) and the IMX 803 (iPhone 14 pro/ iPhone 15 pro).

Also, the current speculation is that the "normal" iPhone 15 will get a 48MP sensor, but it's smaller than the IMX803 of the iPhone 14 / 15 pro / pro max / Ultra.

What must also be taken into account is that larger sensors with a specific focal length build deeper (the lens must be farer appart from the sensor), which is why the focal length of 24 mm for the IPhone 14 pro/ pro max is already very small (iPhone 13 pro was 26 mm). Historically, over 30mm (iPhone 7: 35mm) was more common for the standart main camera. Even shorter focal lengths based in larger sensors increasingly turn the main sensors into ultra-wide sensors with all the disadvantages, or the camera hump becomes more and more extreme. This is also the background of telescopic sensors.
it's not about the size though, it's about the new CMOS sensor

Reactions: whitedragon101

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
The pixel size they show in the Apple presentation is 2.44microns so it does look at the moment like it’s the same Sony IMX803 as last year

Reactions: Mercury7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.