Sony KF-50WE610 50" HDTV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brobson, Jun 29, 2008.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

Someone is selling theirs for $750 (reg 3000) 4 yrs ago.
    I am reading they have bulb issues.
    Anyone have one or have an opinion about the price?
    I realize I am way off subject here but I bet my Mac friends like tv too.:)

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I'd pass on the deal. For a few hundred more, you can get an LCD HDTV new, albeit not as large. Replacing bulbs on a 4-year-old TV will end up costing more than buying new.

3. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Thanks

What do you think if I told her I'd consider the price of $600 but that would probably be only if the bulbs have been replaced ?
    Otherwise I will take your advice, thanks so much.
    Brenda

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I looked up the cost of the replacement lamp ($139 w/90 day warranty). The resolution of this TV is 720P. I found a Sanyo 42" LCD HDTV (same resolution as the Sony) at Walmart for $998. Not that I recommend this model (I don't!), but just to give you an idea of what's out there today for a few hundred dollars more NEW with a warranty and extended warranty options.

A newer LCD HDTV will take up far less space than the older projection TV's. They also don't have the screen burn in issues, and expensive replacement lamps, and come with a warranty. I know it's tempting to get a big HDTV now, but if you can hold out for as little as 6 months, or choose a smaller sized screen, you can get a much better TV for your money. :)

If she replaced the bulb, and lowered the price to $600, you'd be set for a minimum of 90 days, barring any other problems. But then when you get sick of it taking up so much space, and tired of buying new lamps, it will be difficult to sell, and will cost a bit to have hauled off.

There is a reason she's selling it for a small fraction of it's original cost. Granted, it's an HDTV, but it's old technology that has been vastly improved upon since, and the number of potential issues you'll face just aren't worth it. Even moving it from her place to yours will be a chore, and could potentially damage it.

Good luck to you on your decision. Sorry I'm long winded! :)