Sony Lav mic advise tips/ tutorials .......

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by milligan, Sep 16, 2010.

1. milligan macrumors member

I have the Canon Vixia HF200 (which has the mini hot shoe)
    Just received my Sony UWP-V1 lav mic from Amazon.
    Again I'm looking for advice. Is it worth buying the adapter for the hot shoe so that I can mount the receiver onto the camera? Or can I just clip the receiver onto my belt?
    Also I have yet to fiddle with the channel buttons and set button. Is there any advice I should know about in thios area? Or test away until I get it down, have been looking for good tutorials on you tube etc, but can only find mic tests and comparrisons.

Do I need a signal into a 3.5mm stereo mini plug to make this mic work with this camera?

Thanks!

2. jdesign macrumors member

I have one of that, i just clip it to my belt. if you think its advantageous for you to have it on hotshoe, go for it.
    Although if you only have a few or no gears attach to your camera, don't see any point having it attached on the hotshoe.

re the setting, there isn't much to play around with the setting, thats probably why no tutorial regarding this. my tip is to monitor the audio level, so its on the right range. You can adjust the audio level in the transmitter with the lav.

no idea with the 3.5mini plug, as i'm using a H4n recorder with this.

All the best :)

3. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

You can do that, just don't walk away from your camera. :D

You'll need (I think) an XLR to 3.5mm adapter. And plenty of AA batteries.

• You can probably choose any frequency you want, but learn how to do it just in case you end up somewhere and can't use that one.
    • Learn to adjust the transmission power (high or low).
    • Learn to adjust the attenuation of the mic so you don't overload the audio.
    • Learn how to adjust the camera's record level, but it's a bit fiddly and you risk bumping the camera so best to set it once and leave it if possible. You can adjust the rec level on my HFS10 by assigning that function to the one little adjustable doodad on it.
    • Learn how to mic someone and how to keep clear of ties, clothes, jangly dangly things.
    • Learn how to mic women :)confused:).
    • Learn how to hide a mic cable if needed
    • Learn to instruct people in how to be careful of the mic. Don't let them walk away with it!
    • Learn that when people turn away from the mic (e.g. to point at the presentation over their right shoulder), the sound will drop so anticipate that and mic them on the side they'll probably turn to. Don't ask them stuff like "do you anticipate turning to your right very often", ask them how they will present or what they see themselves doing.
    • Learn how to connect the transmitter to a line source in an auditorium. If you trust the auditorium guy.
    • Monitor, monitor, monitor. If that mic moves and you start getting lots of scratchy clothing noise, you can't tell that from the camera audio indicators. If you have nothing else, or if you don't want to look too dorky using big over-the-ear phones, use your iPod buds.

4. milligan thread starter macrumors member

Wow great advice, thanks very much.

One more question, I notice that if I have both the lav mics and the shotgun mic on, they both work, so is this a way I can get clear voice ...but also some ambient sounds? Does one take priority over the other? It seems not, and I dont think on the canon HF 200 there is anyway I can record to 2 channels
    THANKS!

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Dunno - just have a play with your new toy. You won't be disappointed with the Sony lav.

On my big camera, I record to two separate channels via two XLR inputs. On my HFS10 I only have the little Canon shotty - my money controller wouldn't let me have a wireless lav for home :D

6. milligan thread starter macrumors member

Yes thanks I need to mess around a bit more, so far the combo is pretty good though. The sony lav mic rocks! Makes all the difference in the world.
    Thanks to everyone in this forum for pointing me in the right direction, and I was lucky to find a new set but box opened for half price on Amazon.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

just make sure of channel selection. As NBC or others might be assigned to channel you might be using. As others mentioned, monitor your audio.