Sony Mini DV tape on a Canon HV-20

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by HercGuy, Aug 27, 2007.

1. HercGuy macrumors newbie

OK, I've read this in a few places, but I can't seem to find the thread. Is there any truth to the rumor of Sony Mini DV tapes having a different chemical mix that will gum up a Canon camera? There's some video on one of my buddy's tapes that I want to pull onto my mpb from his Sony tape thru my Canon camera.

Thanks!

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Nope, far as I'm concerned DV tapes are DV tapes no matter who makes them.

By the way, how's that HV20, I'll be getting one soon.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I've read this from several sources. The deal is that Sony uses a dry lubricant on their tapes and other brands use wet lube. Or it could be the other way around.

From what I've read, as long as you use a head cleaner before and after running the Sony tape therough, you'll be OK.

4. HercGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

The HV20 is awesome! I'm a pilot and I've been taking it all over the place and no matter what environment I have it in, it has been awesome.

Even the still pictures have come out really great...they don't hold a candle to my 800IS, but they are very respectable when I don't have enough room in my bag for both cameras.

My favorite part is the extremely user friendly menu system. If you are/have been a Canon user, you will enjoy the familiarity. As a side note, I still spent a little time with the users manual prior to use.

5. Nobody Famous macrumors newbie

I had read essentially the same thing: mixing tapes that use dry lube with tapes that use wet would result in gumming. I decided to use Sony DV tapes exclusively to avoid complications.
    As for a camera bag, I found the Sony LCS-VA30 to hold my Canon HV20 and PowerShot S45 - with multiple batteries and recharger (interchangeable, too) - nicely. $40 bucks at BestBuy, $27 at Amazon.:)

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Maxell Professional DVM63Pro HDV Tape Is Best Only $4.50 A Roll From TapeResources

I don't know about lubricants, but I do know about tape formulas. Consumer DV tape is typically Metal Particle tape while 65 minute Professional HDV tape from Maxell is Metal Evaporated and only $4.50 a roll when you buy in cases of 50 from TapeResources in Virginia Beach VA. It's superior tape for half the price of Sony.

I wrote a long post on why Maxell Pro HDV tape is best here in Post #265 of the HC-7 thread. Includes a White Paper attachment with diagram on how the tape's formula is assembled layer by layer. And each roll records more than 65 minutes.