Sony Mini DV tape on a Canon HV-20

HercGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
OK, I've read this in a few places, but I can't seem to find the thread. Is there any truth to the rumor of Sony Mini DV tapes having a different chemical mix that will gum up a Canon camera? There's some video on one of my buddy's tapes that I want to pull onto my mpb from his Sony tape thru my Canon camera.

Thanks!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
OK, I've read this in a few places, but I can't seem to find the thread. Is there any truth to the rumor of Sony Mini DV tapes having a different chemical mix that will gum up a Canon camera? There's some video on one of my buddy's tapes that I want to pull onto my mpb from his Sony tape thru my Canon camera.

Thanks!
I've read this from several sources. The deal is that Sony uses a dry lubricant on their tapes and other brands use wet lube. Or it could be the other way around.

From what I've read, as long as you use a head cleaner before and after running the Sony tape therough, you'll be OK.

HercGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
The HV20 is awesome! I'm a pilot and I've been taking it all over the place and no matter what environment I have it in, it has been awesome.

Even the still pictures have come out really great...they don't hold a candle to my 800IS, but they are very respectable when I don't have enough room in my bag for both cameras.

My favorite part is the extremely user friendly menu system. If you are/have been a Canon user, you will enjoy the familiarity. As a side note, I still spent a little time with the users manual prior to use.

Nobody Famous

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
I had read essentially the same thing: mixing tapes that use dry lube with tapes that use wet would result in gumming. I decided to use Sony DV tapes exclusively to avoid complications.
As for a camera bag, I found the Sony LCS-VA30 to hold my Canon HV20 and PowerShot S45 - with multiple batteries and recharger (interchangeable, too) - nicely. $40 bucks at BestBuy, $27 at Amazon.:)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Maxell Professional DVM63Pro HDV Tape Is Best Only $4.50 A Roll From TapeResources

I had read essentially the same thing: mixing tapes that use dry lube with tapes that use wet would result in gumming. I decided to use Sony DV tapes exclusively to avoid complications.
As for a camera bag, I found the Sony LCS-VA30 to hold my Canon HV20 and PowerShot S45 - with multiple batteries and recharger (interchangeable, too) - nicely. $40 bucks at BestBuy, $27 at Amazon.:)
I don't know about lubricants, but I do know about tape formulas. Consumer DV tape is typically Metal Particle tape while 65 minute Professional HDV tape from Maxell is Metal Evaporated and only $4.50 a roll when you buy in cases of 50 from TapeResources in Virginia Beach VA. It's superior tape for half the price of Sony.

I wrote a long post on why Maxell Pro HDV tape is best here in Post #265 of the HC-7 thread. Includes a White Paper attachment with diagram on how the tape's formula is assembled layer by layer. And each roll records more than 65 minutes.