Sony named Greenest gaming company

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by e²Studios, Nov 27, 2007.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Sony scored an impressive 7.3 making it the 3rd greenest company on the Greenpeace list.

MS scored a lackluster 2.7

Nintendo scored the lowest of all the companies on the list with a 0, yes 0.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/toxics/electronics/how-the-companies-line-up

Ed

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

And since when do we care what greenpeace says?

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Isn't this Sony who also want you to leave your power hungry PS3 on all night for Folding (for a very good cause mind). Still it's very promising to see a games company doing so well! Makes me feel less guilty for playing mine... even though it was flown over by a 3rd party (does that help?).

I can see Nintendo getting bad scores. Lots of packaging etc. Still, at least running "green" usage is low with the low power it uses.
    I bet shipping them Points cards in their own DVD cases doesn't help matters!

Off topic, but has Apple improved their green-ness?

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

...probably because of WiiConnect24 (although knock on wood it hasn't overheated mine yet). Great idea, good implementation, horrendous follow-through. A Wii in standby should not be hot or even warm especially since nothing is running but the WiFi (not the cpu and not the gpu).

I wonder if they could release a fix for this via system update or if it's a hardware only issue...? :confused:

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm curious if this is due to a lack of co-operation (such as Nintendo simply refusing to tell Greenpeace anything) combined with lack of evident services (such as a recycling plan for old products), or if Nintendo is just really bad by Greenpeace's criteria.

The scoring seems like it might be a little unfair; company A could use the least amount of a chemical but if they don't have a set policy about it they get deducted points. But then, it could be that they legitamitely failed.

Either way, this is really bad for Nintendo PR.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually the one that surprises me the most is Philips, getting only a 2.

When you think; that both Philips & Sony are the two biggies for most home electronics it very surprising to see such a mammoth variances in result score.

Nintendo & Microsoft only make 1 product so fair enough, but when you think of the Plethora of electronics equipment Sony & Philips make; I certainly would be more concerned with it's score than either M$ or Nintendo.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I think it's the company as a whole; Microsoft makes a LOT more than just one product.

Of course, with efforts like the Zune, we WISH they only made one product.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Doh! I forgot about the Zune... or maybe I hired the Men in Black to wipe it from my memory. Damn you for making me remember :D:p

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

MRU are you letting Mass Effect slow your mind;):D...MS makes computer peripherals & the Zune. It good to see a console maker thinking green and setting some standard....now all we need is the other two to fall in line.

Zero, wiiConnect24 overheated mine and I think its a useless feature for now(I have it off)..I hope they add something to it.

Bless

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yup, peripherals like Microsoft's mice, I use one. Oh, and the packaging for all their software products counts for Greenpeace.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Mate there's been so much **** happening in my life the last couple of weeks I'm amazed I'm actually functioning at all :eek::)

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So Nintendo got 0 because they gave no information to Greenpeace. According to Kotaku. So it could be any number.

Why would Greenpeace even publish that if they simply had no information? Shouldn't they have rated it n/a, or inconclusive? Hmm.

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Greenpeace the corporate hating gluttons they are have done the same with Apple and other companies that didn't disclose information.

Nintendo didn't score a 0 because their product was full of EVILs, but it makes for some good fud when peeps like ED H are looking to glorify their favorite toy.

<]=)

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I hate Greenspace...they twist the truth to meet their needs.....did it with Apple too.....atleast put make it clear that Nintendo got a zero because they didn't give any info up....

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I guess those whale hunting trips by the Nintendo execs probably helped them score a bit lower than the others that went to the endangered species restaurant in Japan.

16. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Greenpeace's scores are based "solely on public information on the companies website."

Translation: Nintendo doesn't have anything published on their website. So they simply got blindsided. What bull. How difficult is it for Greenpeace to pick up a phone and... you know... ask?

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Eh, I'm glad Ed posted it. He didn't put any bashing statements in the opening post, and it's good to know. I'm more surprised by Microsoft's score, since that is Microsoft as a company overall and you'd think Mr. Gates with his whole "I'm a philanthropist!!!" shtick would be trying to be environmentally friendly for his image.

18. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

19. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I seem to be stuck in a world where "no info" means info!

21. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

...there is no spoon. :D
    oh, and - the cake is a lie! (haven't played Portal yet but I hear that one being thrown around a lot these days)