Sony or Sennheiser?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamvk, Jan 24, 2011.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well basically I want headphones that are closed/over the ear, have great sound quality, look nice...These are the four I'm in-between right now...which one looks like the best one? I really am favoring the 595, but the fact that it was released in 2005 makes me slightly worried...

Sennheiser 595
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...TVE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295934668&sr=8-1

Sennheiser 518
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295934698&sr=1-2

Sony MDR-XB700
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB70...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295934723&sr=1-2

Sennheiser 448
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...Headphone/dp/B002DGTGO0/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_2_1

Thanks guys!!!

2. snouter macrumors 6502a

I can't comment on the specific models, but if it was released in 2005, I would take that as a good sign in the audio equipment world and nothing to be worried about.

Probably just means they are built well, sound good and are popular.

Also, Sennheiser is like other German brands (BMW, Porsche, etc) few models, but high quality and evolution over revolution.

I own these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=pd_cp_e_3

Released in 2001. I like them fine.

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

Sennheisser, hands down; and at at HD595. In any case, I suggest you try them first. All of them are not too shabby and sound is a subjective measure. Some prefer warm, others crystal, bass over-pronounced, or direct sound, etc.

4. Pearl Wisdom macrumors member

I think the 595 would be the best of the models you list. I have the HD650 and they are great although about 3 times the price of the 595. Sennheiser makes good products.

You might also like a headphone amp sometime, although that is also a significant amount of money. Sometimes (maybe pre-Christmas) you can find the Total Bithead on sale for $130 or less. It has a USB input and does the digital conversion and amplification better than the audio built into Macs. I think you would be able to tell a significant difference when used with the 595 headphones.

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/amplifiers/headroom-total-bithead.php

The Sennheiser models do not change that often, so don't worry about the 595 having been around for years.

5. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

6. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok so it looks like the Sennheiser 595's still look like a good option for me...as to trying them on first, where would I do that?

So for those that have the 595's, which way do they tend to lean? Are they more bassy, or have more clarity, or a good combo, or what?

Also will I give enough power to them via my droid? I normally will be using them on either my Macbook Pro or my droid...

Thanks!

7. packsherpah macrumors newbie

Sorry to introduce a complication, but many people consider these headphones to be the best cans for the money in the world right now. And remember I said best cans for the money, most say they compare in sound quality to 1k+ headphones. They are open back reference headphones, made for professionals. The sound quality is amazing. Please consider them. I own a pair, they are nothing short of incredible.

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K702-REFE...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295988211&sr=1-1

8. toxic macrumors 68000

the OP wants closed. HD595's aren't closed. nor are the 518's, for that matter.

9. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thank you...this is very good to know...I'm mainly going to be using this in studio, but a design studio, not a music studio. So silence for those around me is very important. Are the 448s closed?

Also to the above post, the AKGs are out of my price range. They do look nice though thanks.

10. remciver macrumors newbie

durability, environment, and frequency response

as an amateur musician/producer/dj I've been wrestling with different headphone options for a while.
    Closed headphones are nice and comfortable, have lots of room for multiple drivers without the price skyrocketing, etc.
    But don't count out quality in-ear headphones either

The trick with dropping some money on headphones is making sure you don't eat that cost in a year due to poor construction. I spent $180 on some Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5EB in-ear headphones, only to have the wire leads rip out of them a year later. If I had spent the extra $70 on the Shure in-ears with the removable/replacable wire leads, I would've been fine ripping those leads off. Browse some pro-audio/music producation forums for durability reviews, a year of touring/recording is the perfect torture test for long term consumer use.

If you are using your headphones in a dynamically noisy environment, whether its trying to listen to music while working out, or monitering your mix while DJing in a club, noise-ISOLATING in-ear headphones are the only way to go. Noise-CANCELING headphones like those expensive Bose pieces you see advertised everywhere can only cancel out droning static noise, like an airplane engine. Any dynamic noises, whether its a crying infant or other music, noise-cancelation won't help at all. Noise-ISOLATING in-ears are essentially earplugs with headphones in them. They let you drown out all the noise around you, without turning up the volume so much as to hurt your hearing. Another nice thing about quality in-ear headphones is that the first few inches of chord lead will be shapable wire with memory, in order to wrap the wire over the top of your ear and down the back of your neck. This is great for everything from running without your headphones falling off, to putting the weight of the chord, iPod, or any unexpected chord snags on the stronger cartilage of your outer ear, sparing your sensitive ear canal the abuse. Quality in-ears have replacable tips of various sizes, to find the most comfortable fit, even to the point of doing custom ear-moldings like the pros use. Do not confuse the comfort level of the stock iPod in ear headphones with a quality pair from someone like Shure or Westone.

The final thing to make sure of when u start dropping real money on headphones is the number of drivers [speakers] in the headphones. In the same way a tweeter can't replicate bass like a sub woofer and a sub woofer can't replicate treble like a tweeter, your headphones should have multiple drivers if you start dropping over $100. The frequency response [range where sound can be reproduced] of a combination of drivers is much greater than a single driver.

Personally, I'm an advocate of in-ear headphones, but that is mostly due to the loud and active environments I find myself using them in.

for more:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/10/13/the-best-in-ear-monitors-for-djs/

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I would consider Grados and Audio Technica as well. I own a pair of the Audio Technica AH700's and they are closed and excellent.

12. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thank you very much for your post. I currently own good Sony in-ear earbuds. Although I do like the quality, the thing is I don't like how people can almost always hear what I'm listening to if it's quiet...and my studio normally is. Also I feel like after a long period of time they get uncomfortable, which is why I want to buy headphones. I'm not quite as concerned with canceling out noise as much as it being closed. I want to be able to listen to my music at a decent music level without those around me hearing it. Would noise ISOLATING do this as well? As far as frequency ranges goes, what would you say would be a range I should be looking for with my range. (about $100-150)

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll be sure to try to include those brands in my search.

13. gco212 macrumors 6502

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's and klipsch image s4's and use them in the law library at school a ton. I was the same way with making no noise for everyone else my number one priority, and both are relatively quiet, but the s4's (in-ear monitors) are ultimately a good deal "quieter" than the M50's (closed over the ear monitors). I'd definitely check them out in person before buying anything to make sure the closed phones are quieter than what you currently have.

14. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok thanks. I've heard good things about Klipsch too.

Ok sorry to ask this again but what about the Sennheiser 448s? (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295993796&sr=1-2)

They are apparently "closed" so others wouldn't hear what I'm listening to, and they also look very attractive in my opinion.

15. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

16. joehahn macrumors regular

I have the HD 555's from Sennheiser and love them, I just wish I lived in a quieter place...

17. gco212 macrumors 6502

18. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Just to clear something up, either you are misunderstanding something or I am misunderstanding you, but anyway.....

over the ear does not necessarily mean closed when talking about headphones

The Senn 595 will cover your entire ear but they are "open" (says Open-Aire on Amazon). This means that in a design studio occupied by other people, you will hear them talking and they will hear your music if you play it loudly, which you may do in order to compensate for hearing their conversations.

Put it this way, you would probably disturb people in a library with the Senn 595 or most open headphones.

19. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

I'm gonna buy these then I think. Thanks. :)

Yea...I'm realizing that now...I do want "closed" which puts a lot of them out.

20. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Real quick, as a backup, would a Sennheiser 448 be a good "closed" choice?