Sony Panasonic or Canon DVD Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Merser, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Merser macrumors member

Merser

I am looking to get a DVD camcorder for my sister as a Christmas present.

Anyone have any experience, suggestions or feedback as to which way to go?

I need to stay below the $450 (after taxes) marker.

Here are my options...

Sony DCR-DVD108

Panasonic VDR-210

Canon DC210

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I don't have an opinion between these 3, but you should check out camcorderinfo.com

Now, here are my questions. Why DVD camcorder? Is there a reason you're looking at DVD vs. miniDV? What kind of computer does your sister have?

What is the intended use for the camcorder. Apple has only started supporting DVD SD camcorders with iMovie'08. Previous versions of iMovie required a time-consuming work flow to use the DVD footage.

Personally, I would suggest a nice miniDV camcorder. If you can find the Canon Elura 100, that would be the one to get. I might be tough to find since it's been discontinued and Canon has not announced a replacement model.

ft

3. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I agree with this. If you plan on editing the footage at all, a DVD camcorder is a pain in the ass. But I don't have iLife '08 yet either.

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

DON'T GET A PANASONIC!

I got one in '04 which ended up costing me like $800 and just barely over a year later the screen went dead and it will not turn on! $800 down the drain. No, had I just gotten the Xbox like I wanted I could have gotten a nifty little hard drive camcorder for the same price or less!

5. Bosox3 macrumors regular

Bosox3

I just bought the Sony DCR-DVD108 and its not hard to edit dvd footage either. Its a great little camcorder thats simple to use.

I bought it through Dell.com. just look on google for dell.com promo codes, you'll save alot of $$ that way.

I find it alot easier to edit dvd than I did any w/ minidv.

6. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Canon or Sony, stay away from panny. As a general rule I'd go for the Canon, as sony has a markup just because it bears that name. As others have said though, DVD is a pain on Mac, also as stated before, try to find a Canon Elura 100, winning camcorder of the year for 2006 at camcorderinfo.com

Also, the sony's use a Touch screen, which i find a PAIN to use, plus you get fingerprints on your screen :(... Go for canon...

7. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

8. Merser thread starter macrumors member

Merser

I am sorry, I should have included more detailed info. If I were to buy this for me to use on my macbook, DVD would be practically out of the question...

My sister uses PC and is just looking for something to "archive memories" Maybe one out of every 10 DVD or so will be edited by my brother-in-law.

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

What is your workflow? Are you using iMovie'08 or something else. Prior to iMovie'08 the workflow would involve using an outside application to convert the DVD footage to DV or MPEG-4, resulting in loss of video quality.