Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Deadline reports that Sony Pictures is presently working to acquire the rights for a feature film based on Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs.
I've just learned that Sony Pictures is making a hefty deal to acquire feature rights to Steve Jobs, the upcoming authorized biography by former CNN chairman and Time Magazine managing editor Walter Isaacson.
Deadline considers the studio to be a good match, having recently condensed another business book into the Oscar-nominated film The Social Network which dramatized the founding of Facebook.

Apple and Steve Jobs has already been the topic of one movie called Pirates of Silicon Valley which covered events of the early founding of Apple and up to the return of Steve Jobs at Apple in the late 90s. The movie was a relatively modest telling and targeted straight to television rather than a feature film. The movie was also released in 1999, well before Apple's massive rise in popularity and profitability.

There's no word on when such a film might be targeted for release.

Article Link: Sony Pictures Acquiring Rights to a Movie About Steve Jobs

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
That could be interesting. Even better if there was actual real interviews, not mock ones based on the biography.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Strange considering the fact that they competed in the market. Probably there will be shotes of apple employees useinging the vaio series computer like in the social network :roll eyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I saw this coming a mile away. In fact, I was just thinking about who could play Jobs earlier today. Hopefully if it happens it's done right and classy.

thenbagis

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Philly
I'd be surprised if it happens, because he was a very private person...

However, if it did... wouldn't Disney be a better candidate than Sony? He was their largest shareholder.

euphlyusUNO

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
I knew something like this had to appear in the news soon. I just hope they don't mess up, treat it well and get a good director to make the movie. The best person in my head is James Cameron, to me he's sort of the Steve Jobs of Hollywood.

Edit: On a second thought, even John Lasseter would be a good choice, since we would've also known Steve enough to treat the movie with respect.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Never a tragedy too poignant to exploit...

I'd love to see Job's life on the big screen.

I hope you thought the recent TV showing of Pirates of Silicon Valley was also exploitative since the network probably made loads from the adverts.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

Look on the internet... Mark zuckerburg used an iBook but because sony made the movie the actors used sony vaio laptops. I was joking around thinking that perhaps they will show Jobs using a pc!
_______
I feel like disney should also make the movie as he was a major share holder.
_______
would they need permission or is he a public domain?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Look on the internet... Mark zuckerburg used an iBook but because sony made the movie the actors used sony vaio laptops. I was joking around thinking that perhaps they will show Jobs using a pc!
_______
I feel like disney should also make the movie as he was a major share holder.
_______
would they need permission or is he a public domain?

Since the movie is based on the official biography they would need permission of the Jobs estate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.