Sony PS3 Console - buy now or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nehas91, Nov 16, 2011.

1. nehas91 macrumors member

Hey all, I'm planning on getting a Sony PS3 console but I'm not sure when to buy.

Should I get it during Black Friday sales - a lot of stores are selling the 160gb console with 2 games(although not very good ones) for $199.

Or should I wait till December/around Christmas time? Will the price go any lower than $199 around Christmas (what was the pattern from previous years?)

Any input/advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

If I remember correctly, Sony have been updating the hardware and prices around September each year. I doubt prices will change between now and the end of the year. Most manufacturers and retailers already have their holiday lineups set. I think you will be safe to buy it now.

3. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

on black friday you will get little big planet and another game with a new PS3 for $200 bucks which is insane !!!

I'd get one without even thinking of it if I didn't have one already. I use mine for netflix and to sometimes kill things on Call of duty. As for little big planet its better than Mario.

4. greganpace macrumors regular

The PS3 really was one of the best purchases I've made. It does..."everything". I got mine on a black friday deal last year when the regular price was 299 (I think we paid 250) without games, and they went down to the 250 regular price in August. So they wont' be going down again any time soon, I would think. First purchase for games if you haven't played it yet, Red Dead Redemption...

5. Fandongo macrumors 6502

It should be "It only does everything, except Pandora"
    Still, i bought my ps3 back in the 80gb MGS days for $500.
    Years of blu-ray/netflix - well worth it.
    I just need to replace the fan (i think) it's gotten quite loud while watching movies lately.

I wouldn't wait unless you're in for the long haul of the next generation.
    Even then i wouldn't wait. Spinning hard drive prices are on the rise, so they may cut back on holiday savings... Who knows.

6. nehas91 thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to buy a PS3 now and have it be outdated next year. When do the next gen. of consoles come out?

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not next year

8. greganpace macrumors regular

They won't be out for a while. They were designed with 3D firmware already inside, which is the big up and coming thing, so they won't need a newer console until they have a reason for it. And blu-ray and 3D are still on the upslope. I will know if it is going out when my parent's getting around to buying a blu-ray player...

And you can go to the pandora website and it will play from there just fine. The browser just isn't ideal in general. I agree they need an "app"? Is that what you call them on a PS3? But for now, my surround sound has a 3.5 jack that I just plug my iPhone in to.

9. Fandongo macrumors 6502

Yeah, not convenient enough. Sony Blu-ray players have it! :mad:
    I think the thing i've used the ps3 most for is the Earth visualizer.
    Pandora + Earth would be great.

I'd use my Droid Charge, but the battery only lasts about 4 hours as it is.

If you're waiting for PS4 and Xbox 5000, you might end up in a time and place where all things are powered wirelessly, and there are no disks.

10. nehas91 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to be sure about not having it be outdated within the next year or so. Being a college student, have to really think carefully about what to spend money on.

11. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

From what I have read, nintendo will be the first of the next gen consoles

Sony has stated that the PS3 will have a life of about 10 years

13. greganpace macrumors regular

It almost seems like Nintendo is trying to get away from the xbox/ps3 competition though. The wii was just so different that it is more geared towards a party activity/kids rather than a normal gaming console. (that being said, I'm sure skyward sword is still going to be amazing) IMO, I would think the comparison is more like an iPad vs iPod. Both can do similar things, but they aren't a head to head competition and are designed for different things.

14. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Real talk, nobody knows when the 8th gen of consoles will be out, The Wii U comes out next year, and the Xbox 720 and PS4 are anytime from next year to 2014.

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

It will not be outdated in quite some time. the PS2 for that matter is still running strong and has excellent games. The PS3 is a fantastic machine, very capable, and in fun in so many ways. For me it is blu Ray movies and games. The games are incredible.

Even if they come out with a new machine in a year or two you can resell your system to a game store or someone else for probably half of what you pay for a black friday system so go for it and enjoy it instead of waiting.

16. Fandongo macrumors 6502

I got a high penalty credit card to buy a 40" lcd + ps3 2.5 years ago.
    Stupidest and most awesome choice i ever made.

Relatively low risk. The hardest part is giving up Halo and not getting Twisted Metal... until... February? years later!?! Seriously, was LBP supposed to be their platform decider?

If ps3 really lasts 10 years...
    Wow.
    As a stupid little kid, It felt like and endless barrage of exponential overnight evolution.

NES > Sega + Snes > PS1 > Mario 64 - 1996 (15 years evolved from DK)

2001 - Halo 1 - FPS takeover begins
    2007 - Halo 3 - HD Halo!
    2010 - Mario Galaxy 2 - uhh... (14 years devolved from 64)
    2011 - Halo 1 - ohh.

17. neil1980 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the PS3 lasted 10 years... although the PS3 won't be Sony's lead console for the whole 10 years.

If you look at the PS2 its the same kind of scenario... It was out years and years but overlapped the PS3.

18. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

My guess:

2012: Next-gen Playstation rumours get going.
    2013: More rumours, leaks from devs etc. At E3, Microsoft announce the next-gen Xbox. Nothing from Sony.
    2014: At TGS or E3 (more likely) Sony announce their next machine to compete with the newly released Xbox. My guess, a Q4 launch in some regions, but worldwide launch 2015.

Perhaps I'm overstating 2013, Sony could announce something then which would still fall in line with their massive incubation times for new hardware (*caugh*Vita*vaugh*)

All in all, your safe buying a PS3 today :D

19. nehas91, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

nehas91 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input everybody, I think I'll go ahead and get myself a PS3 as a reward for working hard in college. Can't have all work and no play right :D

Regarding the PS3 bundle, it comes with Little Big Planet 2 and Ratchet and Clank All 4 one. However, I'm not too excited about these games, I probably won't play them so my question is,

can I just get the console by itself for a lowered price if I tell the store that I don't want the games with it?

Or can they let me choose other games in that price range to get as a bundle instead of LittleBigPlanet 3 and Ratchet&Clank All 4 one?

20. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

backa few years ago, when i got my Xbox 360 bundle, it came with Kung foo Panda, and Lego Indianna Jones, i sold them to Gamestop. if you leave them wrapped, you could make like $50

and to answer your question, No. their literally bundled inside the box with the console.

21. StrudelTurnover macrumors regular

Well that all depends on where you buy it, right? We say yes and store says no doesn't do you much good...

A chain like Best Buy or Frys probably can't let you build your own kit at a discount. A local business might give you more freedom, to make the sale. Also you might be pleasantly surprised by Little Big Planet 2.
    Price range has little to do with it, they will likely offer bundle games that they are overstocked on. I'd be surprised if you can't find a console-only SKU. Get a game you like, and a $20 or $50 PSN card to download some stuff online. There will be plenty of games on sale Boxing Day.

P.S. Every word you have written in this thread sounds like textbook corporate shill speak. So if you are a Marketing student you have a bright future ahead. ;)

22. nehas91 thread starter macrumors member

Shill speak as in covert advertising? Sorry, if I came off like that, I didn't mean to. I have been out of the video game thing for a long time now, so I just wanted to give precise info. and get all the information straight before buying. :)

23. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

What are you talking about? I use Pandora everyday while cooking on my PS3, never had a problem.

As for the OP BF is the best time to get it, just look at what each retailer is offering.

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

25. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Holy thread ressuraction....

Did you not realise this was from 2011?????