Sony: PS3 will never get cross game voice chat

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Aug 21, 2011.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Ah well. They should have said that years ago and people wouldn't have hoped for it at every firmware update.'

"Once a game gets RAM we never give it back, it’s not possible to retrofit something like that after the fact… The game has to use its own memory to do [in-game voice chat]. There’s always voice chat in the game. But it’s a part of a game feature. It’s not a part of an OS feature. That’s the reason in terms of the ability to have voice chat across different games."

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/08/19/cross-game-chat-for-ps3-not-possible/comment-page-4/

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Hell, I rarely even use in-game voice chat. :rolleyes:

But I guess it sucks for some people who use the PSN in a more sociable way than I do.

3. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Sony ADD useful features?:rolleyes: At least it wasn't given to us and taken away:cool:

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's a shame they didn't at least save a little bit of the ram for a feature like this, after all their competitor had the feature and they launched years earlier.

I don't really play console games that much (just handheld+PC) but I swear that the chat system on Steam is insanely useful when organising games with friends.

5. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

*cough*linux*cough*

I really don't understand why Sony encourages/encouraged feedback for the OS through the online feedback forum. Most of the requests, such as extending video format support, have yet to be mentioned/implemented. It only does everything? Sony, meet .mkv :p

I personally really don't care about cross game voice chat, since I've never used voice chat on the rare occasions I play online. The only game I really went out of my way to play online was Demon's Souls (and again, when it comes out, Dark Souls), which didn't have the feature anyway.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

Something of note. Apparently the PS Vita will have cross game chat as it has 512 MB of RAM which is double what the PS3 has.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yeah they mentioned (forgot which site) that a while back. If the Vita is as social as they're toting it to be, and there are enough players, this could be a great multiplayer platform.

8. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Then they will take voice chat away on the Vita citing security concerns :p

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Doesn't bother me that much. I can see why a change a pace would be more trouble then the rewards are, making some games run poorly if the OS were to start requiring the power to support cross game video chat.

Hopefully the put it into for PSN on the PS4, but for now, I see how they are in a less then ideal spot, and while it was their fault, it isn't a game changer for me. I rarely chat anyway.

10. tjb1, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

tjb1 macrumors 68000

Cross Game sucks unless you are friends with a lot of people. Very hard to talk to anyone on Xbox Live because everyone is in party chat.

Kind of ruins the point of chat in the game...cant really ask team mates about stuff in COD of BF when they are too busy talking to there buddies.

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I'm not surprised at all. Sony has not been very innovative about couple years now!