Sony Reader not supported on Mac "because there's not enough users'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Marky_Mark, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

This was the BS I was fed by Sony UK customer support today. :rolleyes:

I, and I'm sure many others, have been waiting for this product to come to the UK since it's announcement about 18 months ago. It's finally due to come to the UK around the end of September.

Please could I enlist the services of all you fine, fine people to petition and lobby Sony to provide Mac support? Even if you have no plans to buy one yourself, if we all write to them, they cannot dispute that there is a sizable market for which to make the investment worthwhile. If we cannot use this vocal and switched on community to turn shortsighted and prejudiced business decisions like this around, there's no hope!

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate your help and support.

Customer Information Centre
    Sony UK Limited
    Jays Close
    Viables
    Basingstoke
    RG22 4SB
    United Kingdom

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

That pretty funny considering Apple supported Blu-ray (speaking in the past-tense as BRD drives are yet to be seen from Apple).

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Apple is still part of the Blu-Ray Consortium. They are likely waiting for burners to become affordable.

As for the Sony Reader, Good Luck, rarely does this kind of action work. But when it does, it makes the news... Like the iPhone rebates.

TEG

4. Marky_Mark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

For my part, I cannot believe that two and a half million Mac sales this quarter can be described by anyone as 'not enough users'.

If you have the time, write the letter; me and my old mum will appreciate it, at least.

:)

Thanks

5. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

from their point of view if only 10 of those two and a half million mac users want mac support for their product, it's not enough to make the effort. if even half of those emailed and said "hey we want to use this with our macs" that would be a whole different thing. i'm assuming they aren't getting that kind of feedback though, hence their thinking that there isn't a market for it.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I presume 'Sony Reader' refers to blu-ray drive? The OP doesn't specify.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No, I think he is referring to the Sony Reader product.

Perhaps Sony UK are not talking about insufficient Mac users, rather insufficient Reader users to bother supporting it :p

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not sure if they're available in the UK, but my wife has an Amazon Kindle, which happens to work just fine with the Mac.
    The books are dowloaded and saved to the device via USB (the Kindle's wireless connection works very poorly where we live despite being listed in a service zone. Works elsewhere, however).

She looked as the Sony Reader, but the library of books is much smaller. The units are more sleek than the Kindle, but, as you've noticed, there's no Mac support, either.

9. Hates macrumors regular

Sadly not, and sadly looks like it never will be :(

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It sucks, Sony does not support Macs, and that's one of the reasons why I have a kindle. (Sorry it's not an option for you :()

there's a few other devices out there that offer ebooks and are mac compatible I believe...google the cybook gen3, IIRC they support non drm'd mobipocket files, and maybe drm'd, i cant remember. But that'll definitely open up your options at least a little.