Sony SBH80 Stereo Bluetooth Headset

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tenhead, Apr 16, 2014.

1. tenhead, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

tenhead macrumors regular

So I just got the Sony SBH80 because I was looking for a wireless headset for using at the gym. I read the review on Amazon and it got good rating, plus they said that the bass is really good. Well, I was disappointed that it got almost zero bass ! Did some research and found out that it has aptX technology and the devices you use with must have aptX technology as well to experience the high quality audio. Well, just found out that my iPhone5 does not have the aptX. Damn, I didn't know that. Is this something that the iPhone will have in the future?

2. tenhead thread starter macrumors regular

Is aptX a hardware or software that needed to be added to the iPhone to make it work with aptX headset? I really don't know about this stuff. I sit true that it's already on some of the Mac's? I'll go test my SBH80 on my aunt's macbook pro. Really want to hear what the bass sound like.

3. ikm19 macrumors 6502

ikm19

aptx is a bluetooth codec and i guess iphone doesnt support that. Its not the hardware but the software but like firmware needed to be added by apple only..

4. muussoo macrumors newbie

I cannot manage to connect these to my iMac...they work perfectly on my iPad and iPhone:(

Any suggestions?

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Will not be added. There is no reason to.

Bluetooth A2DP requires a base level compatibility codec called SBC. iPhone has to support it.

iPhone also supports direct A2DP with AAC/MP3 which is the highest quality. No transcoding.

You need to look for Bluetooth devices that support AAC or MP3 direct.

aptX is some middleware codec, that slots between base SBC and AAC, that transcodes lossy-lossy. A step better than SBC but still far worse than native AAC. Apple has no reason to support this crap middleware technology.

6. muussoo macrumors newbie

ok, I had to reset the SBH80s...they now paired with my Mac.

unfortunately on the MAC only the volume control of the SBH80s work with Spotify...not the FFW or play\pause buttons...

7. martinstenso macrumors newbie

martinstenso

8. martinstenso macrumors newbie

martinstenso

depending of the size of your ears you can try out different sizes of the headphones rubber-sleeves. This is crucial for the bas level.