Sony SLT A55

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Muscle Master, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I'm really digging this DSLR for some reason.. my budget for my first camera is $1200 and I narrowed it down to the Sony A55 or the Nikon D7000

I would like to hear anyones opinion on my choices before I pull the trigger

2. Grasher macrumors member

Make sure you're happy to be buying outside of the big two (Canon/Nikon) before you go for the sony. I have a sony A560, which I upgraded from a Sony A200. I'm really happy with it but at the back of my head I know it's always going to be just a little bit more difficult to add to the system as Sony-fit lenses and accessories aren't as prevalent as Canikon. When I bought the A200 I didn't really have an understanding of the Canikon dynamic to the market and once I did, I did have second thoughts about upgrading.

If you ever aim to go pro I'd advise against Sony as they don't really have the same backing as Canikon.

All that said, as a hobbyist I love mine. Maybe it's just my perception but I think Sony make up for their smaller market share by packing in more features for the price. Image stabilisation built in to the body, and the speed mode giving 7 fps (albeit with some limitations) for example.

Last point - but have you actually handled both cameras yet? I looked at the A55 and just found it to be too small in my hands.

3. thleeal macrumors regular

DO NOT BUY THE SONY.

I like you saw the features and got seduced. but the colour fringing was horrible, the pictures were just not there in comparison to my 400d(KIA). so i returned that and then later on paid the extra for a canon 600d.
    its a hairline between canon and nikon. but the canons do better video.
    the SLT is a toy - Canon had the same system 30 years ago and they didn't go down that road for a reason.
    go for the nikon if thats what your heart tells you. but if your going to buy the sony, get it from the store, cause you will be taking it back.

KRT