Sony SR11

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mordaunt, Aug 7, 2008.

1. mordaunt macrumors newbie

Hello,

Sorry if thuis has been posted already, I had a look and didn't see anything. But I went into the Sony store in NY yesterday to buy the SR11 and the guy in the store told me that it won't work with a mac... is this right? He didn't go into details about why, Im not sure he knew.

Can anyone give me some information on this?

Thanks
    A

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I've heard this myself - and I'm nowhere near NY! Seems to be a widespread misapprehension.

There is no reason the SR11 won't work with a Mac. Even iMovie 08 will recognise the camera and import the AVCHD video files (it converts them to AIC in the process).

People sometimes get caught out when they have recorded either standard definition video or stills on the camera, which for some reason tends to make iMovie not recognise it over USB. This isn't incompatibility, it's idiosyncrasy - and is probably not confined to Sony camcorders.

If software is provided with the camera, then chances are it's not OSX compatible. Doesn't make the camera incompatible, though.

Bottom line? It's a very good camcorder, and will work fine so long as you have a Core 2 Duo Intel Mac with at least iMovie 08.

Andrew.