Sony survey details possible paid PSN subscriptions, cross game chat

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Dec 18, 2009.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

From Kotaku:

A survey sent from IPSOS Online Research indicates that Sony is considering premium subscription plans for the PlayStation Network, detailing potential prices and premium services, including full hour game trials, free access to PSOne Classics, and cross-game voice chat.

…

Survey begins with:

"Sony is considering offering a premium PlayStation Network subscription in the future. The subscription offering would provide new premium features you could choose to pay for and are in addition to the features currently available for free such as access to online multiplayer gaming (current features would remain free).”

…

The chart below details four potential plans, with three costing $69.99 a year or $9.99 a month - more than an Xbox Live Gold subscription, and one running $4.99 a month and $29.99 a year.

http://kotaku.com/5429592/survey-sony-considering-premium-playstation-network-subscriptions

---------

Not sure how I feel about this.

Attached Files:

2. Nuck81 macrumors regular

as long as all current services remain free, more power to them.

3. macfan881 macrumors 68020

sounds like a great idea id be happy with the all you can take psone classics :)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Good ideas, but cross game chat? That really shouldn't be a premium service. Being in a game and talking to a friend is no different from a resource standpoint, to talking to them through the XMB. Trophy alerts too? Bleh.

The only thing that should be charged is what they have to produce new hardware for, like that cloud save game feature (brilliant idea btw, which Valve used their Steam Cloud for this :mad:) and enough to cover the bandwidth issues that would arise from unlimited access to PS1 games.

5. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

From a media standpoint, I’m really interested in these features:

- Exclusive Experiences with Sony Brands
    - Online Music Service
    - Online Music Video Service
    - Catch-up TV (sounds like a Hulu competitor)

I would pick option 1. However, I find it odd there’s no all-you-can-eat choice for $89.99/year or so.

Maybe Sony will have something to announce at CES.

But ...

- Cross-game Voice Chat
    - Trophy Alerts
    - User-to-user Challenges
    - Automatic Downloads and Updates
    - Netflix Access without Disc

Should all be available as part of a free firmware update, and "Extended Console Warranty [for] Three Years" should be available separately from PSN subscriptions.

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

SONY Considering Launching PSNp (PlayStation Network premium) to Compete with Live?

I just took a SONY/PS survey that asked questions about how much would I be willing to pay a month/year for Premium Membership to the PSN. Instead of explaining it for an hour, here's the survey you can take.

PSNp Survey

7. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Interesting.

The PSN has always been a better free service than the one offered by Xbox LIVE Silver, and from this Sony won't be changing that free service. These offerings will in turn beat the Gold LIVE service, ultimately giving Sony the same two-tier system but one of better quality at each point.

Hell, I'd even be willing to pay for some of these premium offerings.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Those options in the table are bunk though. If I'm going to pay, I want ALL of those boxes ticked. As it stands no matter which PAY option you take your missing out. It's almost equivlent to Microsoft's 7 versions of an operating system, without offering 1 version covering everything.

In this sense at least Live Silver / Gold is more clear cut.

I would'nt be fully happy with any of those options in the table.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

There are options which LIVE doesn't have...its all or nothing. The important thing to me is online play REMAINS FREE which has been recently cleared up by Sony. Online/multiplayer will remain a free service whiles there will be premium services for other things which is frankly above and beyond the LIVE silver/gold options.

Bless