Sony Unveils New Version of Its Top-Rated Aftermarket CarPlay System

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Sony today introduced its new XAV-AX210 receiver, which doubles as an aftermarket CarPlay and Android Auto system.

[​IMG]

The XAV-AX210 is an update to Sony's year-old XAV-AX200 receiver, with the headline new feature being support for iDatalink Maestro, a car audio system that seamlessly interfaces with steering wheel controls, amplifier functions, on-screen vehicle settings, and more when used outside of CarPlay mode.

The receiver has a 6.4-inch touchscreen, but Sony hasn't specified if it's resistive or capacitive. Other key features include hands-free phone calls and music playback via Bluetooth, SiriusXM compatibility, rear view camera readiness, a built-in four-channel amplifier, and a built-in CD/DVD player.

This product is ideal for vehicles that don't come with factory installed CarPlay, mirroring several apps onto the dashboard, including Phone, Messages, Apple Maps, Apple Music, Spotify, and starting with iOS 12, Google Maps and Waze. As a wired system, an iPhone must be connected via Lightning cable.

Sony said XAV-AX210 pricing and availability in North America will be announced in the fall of 2018. It will likely have a similar price as the XAV-AX200, available on Amazon for between $399 and $499 depending on configuration.

Of note, the XAV-AX100 and XAV-AX200 have received favorable reviews from publications such as The Wirecutter.

Other brands with aftermarket CarPlay and Android Auto receivers include Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, and Clarion.

Article Link: Sony Unveils New Version of Its Top-Rated Aftermarket CarPlay System

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

What is the point of touting wireless connectivity if it has to be plugged in for CarPlay anyway? I'm tired of all these overpriced wired systems, many of which are resistive touch. I can get an iPad for $300 or a Nintendo Switch for $250 but not a little display that plugs into my car and interfaces with my phone? It's also annoying that all the high end models have crap we don't need like DVD players. This market is prime for someone to come in and shake it up.

3. dan9700 macrumors 68000

dan9700

my pioneer wireless CarPlay is amazing would never have plugged in one

4. philfry macrumors regular

I have the XAV-AX100 and i'm very happy with it. It is resistive but I don't even notice. For the price it was really nice and BestBuy installed it for free. I've heard that wireless carplay consumes battery fast but I haven't used it myself. Plus the wireless carplay systems were more than double of the $300 that I paid. I really don't mind plugging in my phone especially if i'm going to be in the car for awhile.

5. auriconis macrumors regular

Question, do you ever get voice doubling? I have such a problem with people on the other end of the call hearing themselves talk.

6. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

Are things really "top-rated" if they are just being unveiled and haven't properly been "rated"?
    And who rated it?

7. Scooz macrumors regular

Would this work with carplay without actually being installed inside one, e.g. by just connecting it to 12V and an iPhone?

8. iSayuSay, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

If only Apple makes a car headunit with CarPlay built in? Something like the size of iPad Mini with retina display and fluid multitouch, 16GB of storage, A10 chip and 2Gb of RAM.. That’d be awesome

But Apple may hate all the wirings behind, unless Apple can unify all harness plugs into one USB-C cable connected through an adapter.

9. diddl14 macrumors 6502a

diddl14

Still don‘t get why these things come with DVD/CD...

10. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

It’s a little more than just a screen, I have noticed that some of the cheaper brands are starting to get CarPlay. Walmart has a Boss head unit with CarPlay for $199 and it has decent reviews.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Funny you should say that, I don’t even use CDs or DVDs anymore. I understand there still is a demographic that does, but everything is streamed through Bluetooth or through My Aux port if needed. Pioneer makes a quality unit, but I question the popularity with the advancments with infotainment systems in Cars now.

12. philfry macrumors regular

Hmm i'm not sure. Honestly I don't talk on the phone a lot but I don't recall anyone mentioning that to me. I do feel like maybe the microphone doesn't pick up my voice very well.

Are you doing the call through the built-in phone w/bluetooth or through CarPlay. I'm not really sure if either would have a different outcome though.

13. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah but an iPad is an entire iPad for crying out loud. They should be able to make a wireless capacitive touch unit for a lot less than $1200 or so. $500 seems plenty.

14. philfry macrumors regular

It would be nice if Apple release a infotainment system. It would be very slick and probably would be worth the cost. I'm guessing it would be like $1500-2000 though. Just knowing Apple.

15. Unami macrumors 6502a

my words. if i have to plug in my phone, i can just use it in a holder as well - it even has lots of more car-relevant apps that don‘t work on carplay.

16. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

The previous version of this was “top rated”. Sony has unveiled a new version.

17. vertical smile macrumors 68030

vertical smile

I would guess yes. I have no idea why it wouldn't.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2018 ---
    I like that this head unit has knob for volume and physical buttons for skipping.

It seems like many head units are going the direction of all touchscreen buttons, but I think at a minimum there should be physical buttons for volume, and a knob would be even better,

18. [AUT] Thomas, Aug 16, 2018

[AUT] Thomas macrumors regular

Would instantly buy (even for 800+ bucks) if it would fullfill all of the below requiremets:
    • no optical drive
    • thus not deeper than absolutely necessary, I got limited space on my lower slot
    • some physical buttons for basic controls
    • a very bright, high contrast screen, where black is actually black and not grey. We don't need to save energy here, just fire it up!
    • capacitive touch
    • wired+wireless carplay
    • cinch outputs on the back for the sub
    • SD-card on the front
    • 1280x800 pixels please at least... because we are in 2018... 800x480 is a joke even for automotive use...
    • built-in GPS quad receiver (NAVSTAR, GLONASS, GALILEO, BEIDOU), also because we are in 2018
    • also, the ability to mix rather than switch inputs would be highly appreciated, but for some reason OEMs lack the innovation for that...
    • Bluetooth 4.0 at very least
    • good quality handsfree
    • top audio quality for music
    • firmware upgrade support & bug fixes for the next 2 years unless we are talking matured software...
    • Proper cooling would be nice too... why the miniature fans in double DIN units?
    • (!) Screen not polarized in a way that makes it unreadable with sunglasses...
    ...maybe some more items...
    Anything less than that doesn't justify 800+... the Sonys are well priced, but Pioneers are way too expensive...

19. jakebro macrumors newbie

I prefer the Sony XAV-AX5000. It's $399 and has a larger 7″ display and capacitive touchscreen. Also, it doesn't have a CD or DVD player.
    [​IMG]

20. konqerror macrumors 6502

I'd bet its because it makes the system appear older and cheaper, so they can upcharge for the models without. Imagine if they put a tape player in...

21. B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

Because they can and some of us still have good’ol CD/DVD in our collections.

22. locovaca, Aug 16, 2018

locovaca macrumors regular

Needs wireless CarPlay and hd radio.

And for all the “just stick an iPad in there for half the cost”, the interior of a car isn’t a nice climate controlled environment like your living room. Cars can get hot enough to bake cookies and cold enough to require auxiliary heat to start and the radio has to keep working in all. They are not commodity components but higher end industrial screens and equipment. And resistive is far easier to work with in a car when it is being jostled around by the road and you don’t want every accidental touch of the screen to be picked up by the screen.

Edit: autocorrect fixes

23. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I honestly wish Apple would just enable CarPlay on the phone. Maybe a NFC dock that tells the iPhone it’s in the dock and connected to Bluetooth and automatically enables CarPlay.

24. [AUT] Thomas macrumors regular

@locovaca all true, except for the capacitive touch. IMHO resistive touch is good for tapping only, but as soon as it comes to swiping/gestures resistive feels strange. Although, I'd rather have a good resistive touch than a bad capacitive...

25. Mannyg3rd macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2018 ---
    Is anyone else having Bluetooth calling issues with Android p update