Sony vaio Z VS new Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ouadzi, Nov 12, 2010.

1. ouadzi macrumors newbie

I am actually hesitating between two models, as I am looking for a thin, light, and good performance notebook, for both work, casual uses, and a bit of gaming.
    I have never used mac, but I d be interested to try it.
    One thing I can t get.. Processors on mac always seem very low in comparaison with PC, is that a mistake to think that way just by looking to CPU speed numbers?
    For informations, I have a good PC desktop at home.

I can t decide, which one should I choose between these two models? (I am in Japan, I converted the price from yen to usd, yen is very high nowadays)

SONY VAIO Z /// Price: 1700 USD

Windows 7 64b
    13,1" screen Full HD: 1920 x 1080
    Core i5-520M 2,4 Ghz
    4GB RAM / 8GB MAX 1,066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Nvidia Geforce GT 330M GPU with 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM
    SSD 128GB
    DVD supermulty
    7/8 hours battery life
    1,4 Kg
    2.3〜3.2cm X 31.4cm X 21cm

New MACBOOK AIR /// Price: 1435 USD

Mac OS X
    13,3" screen LED backlight 1440 x 900
    Intel Core Duo 1,86 Ghz
    2BG RAM / 4GB MAX 1,066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Nvidia GeForce 320M with 256 MB DDR3 SDRAM
    Flash Storage 128 GB
    (NO CD/DVD player ? )
    7 hours battery life / up to 30 days standby time
    1,3 Kg
    0.3〜1.7cm X 32.5cm X 22.7cm

Note that I can also have this configuration, getting close to the Z configuration, but the price jump to 2000 USD, and It s really too expensive for me now..

Mac OS X
    13,3" screen LED backlight 1440 x 900
    Intel Core Duo 2,13 Ghz
    4GB RAM / 4GB MAX 1,066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    Nvidia GeForce 320M with 256 MB DDR3 SDRAM
    Flash Storage 256 GB
    (NO CD/DVD player ? )
    7 hours battery life / up to 30 days standby time
    1,3 Kg
    0.3〜1.7cm X 32.5cm X 22.7cm

Thank you in advance for your advices.

2. aleni macrumors 68020

sony's 1900x1200 is a bit high for 13" screen, hell even sometimes reading articles in my 17" mbp with 1900x1200 gives me eyesore.

the sony vaio spec makes me droll. it's much better than the air in term of performance. but macbook air looks much sexier and thinner and it has Mac OS X!

can u live with windows OS? if yes, i suggest u to get the vaio, but for me, i can't live with windows anymore, so if i were you, i'd choose a base 13" Macbook air, but upgrade the ram to 4GB.

3. ouadzi thread starter macrumors newbie

did you read in my mind before writing your comment ? ;)

thank you for your advice and time

4. mutantteenager macrumors 6502

If you're used to Windows, get the Sony - you know it's the better machine!

The Air is a good looking machine granted, but it really is a lot of money for what it can actually do.

I used to sell both, and would only suggest the Air if you already have a decent computer AND can afford the luxury of having a second for posing with!

5. applepearpp macrumors regular

sony vaio z has about 2 hours battery life if you're watching a movie. you can't really watch a movie without having it plug in.

honestly, i wouldn't advise you to get your first mac in the form of MBA. a macbook pro 13/15 would be better as they have fuller apple-experience. even a macbook 13 is impressive with the long battery life and other little things.

but admittedly, win 7 is (finally!) a good system too. so it's your call. I would highly suggest getting a macbook pro 15 but macbook air is a good machine too.

6. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I'd like to add that although i feel that the sony z has the best fit and finish I have found in a windows laptop, the macbook air is better. I like the carbon fiber, but it still doesnt feel as good as a macbook pro or air. Perhaps it is the plasticky bottom. Performance wise tho, it is fantastic.

7. ouadzi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    thank you everyone for your help.

Actually, as I have quite a good desktop PC at home, and I am more and more thinking about putting performance as a secondary condition. Even if i wanted a machine to play games sometimes (starcraft2, diablo3?? not so voracious in power i guess), I think I will prefer having the most light, thin and sexy unibody, and the air is the best candidate.. As mutanteenager said, as I can affort the luxury to pose with a macair, I ll try..:p
    Applepearp, what about the battery life of the MBA when watching a movie?

At last, I even wonder if it would not be a good idea to consider the macbook air 11", it seems that specs are the same, and with a small upgrade I can go to duo core 1,6Ghz and 4GB RAM on it.. the graphic card, the SSD, looks the same, I could gain 300more grams! do you think that too will be a mistake :x ?

8. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

1.6GHz is going to be a noticeable hit from 2.13GHz if you care about performance. It all depends on how extensively you're going to use it compared to your desktop. If you would use it for just surfing on the couch/in bed/at a coffee shop, I'd say that might even be the better idea. Just keep in mind, the VAIO Z and the MBA are two different schools of thought. If you want to cram as much into your laptop as you possibly can at the expense of sexiness and possibly battery life, go for the Z. If you are concerned with looks and don't need it as your main computer, I'd go for the MBA. Your desktop should compensate for the reduced power of the Air.

9. urkel, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

urkel macrumors 68030

People will disagree with me, but if someone wants to try a Mac then I wouldn't recommend the Air. People will go on and on about SSD, SSD, SSD but (as an Air owner that returned it) then I prefer the Macbook Pro 13". It's much cheaper, HDD upgradeable, comes with 4GB Standard and has a 10hr battery.

10. SidBala macrumors 6502a

With specs like that, I would go with the sony. Sony is better in every aspect. Even has a backlit keyboard!

Wow 1080p!

11. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Quite true. However, the battery is user replaceable & there is the option of buying a larger size extended battery. :)

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

13. Skika macrumors 68030

You should be aware the risk of buying the Air, and that is you will really find a hard time going on your desktop PC ;).

14. ouadzi, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

ouadzi thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that really a nightmare to do transfers between the desktop and the mac?
    I was really thinking that it was not a problem to think about nowadays..hearing that mac is now compatible with almost everything..
    J&J >> thanks for the link, this is a great deal yeah, but getting a SSD will finally cost an arm.. and I will have 1,1 inch height laptop, which is big is you compare to the macbook ~ but that a great deal for people who need a performant machine

ps: i forgot to say that i have a 320 gb external hard drive

15. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Get the MBA. Among all my computers both PC and Mac, I still find Mac OS X gives a better overall computing experience. The MBA is just a conduit that's delicately presented with the OS X experience. Sure you pay slightly more. But the overall experience is well worth it.

However I have to point out that you need to choose a Mac that suites your need. Since you say processing power is secondary to you, and you have had been in the windows family for a while, why don't you give Mac a try? The only way to know for sure how well a Mac suits you is to give it a whirl yourself. Suffice to say I'm sure you will agree with most of the consensus of the Mac lovers and keep it.

Since you are comparing the Z to the MBA, I'm pretty sure you have decided on this form factor. In that case choosing a MBA is a no-brainer. Give it a try, what's the worst that could happen? If you don't like it at least you know you have given it a try, so just sell in off.

16. ouadzi thread starter macrumors newbie

don t be so persuasive! I almost clicked on the "finish transaction" button:eek:;):D

17. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I say "DO IT"! :D

18. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

I would go for the Macbook Air. I'm so used to OSX and can't seem to get used to Windows anymore. If I could have OSX on the Vaio, well then, I would go for the Sony. Otherwise, the Macbook Air gets my vote.

19. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Potato. :rolleyes:

20. SidBala macrumors 6502a

MACOS X

IMAC
    I-MAC
    Imac

Iphone

Itouch

These must irritate you much. :D

21. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

I wasn't actually being anal about spelling, I was just trying to say this all boils down to which operating system you want to use.
    If you like windows 7 go with the vaio. If you want mac os x get the MacBook air.

22. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

That would've been nice to post the first time! :D