Sony Vaio Z2 versus rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rrm998, Aug 6, 2012.

1. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I know I'm not the first person to make this comparison but I posted a few thoughts at NotebookReview and thought I might share here.

The "Zoinks" thread is here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/app...cbook-pro-retina-impressions-windows-guy.html

I've had a Z2 for the last year and now I'm moving to the rMBP. I got a good deal on a slightly used model on eBay so I thought I would give it a try. The rMBP has won me over.

One note I would make on the thread is that ZoinksS2k noted that he gotten much faster performance in Adobe Lightroom on the Z2 over the rMBP. I can only assume that he did the testing under windows/basecamp. I've done some import testing in LR using Mountain Lion and the rMBP is faster than the Z2. Of course the new Z3 is also a quad-care (the Z2 is dual) so I imagine they are comparable now. Certainly the unique Sony RAID 0 SSD drive produces very fast R/W times.

I haven't found the size different to be a big deal. The extra two pounds is noticeable but I've adjusted.

Things that are better (for me) on the rMBP:
    - The retina display (duh)
    - Quad-core speed
    - Keyboard
    - Speakers (much better -- the Z series has the worst speakers I've ever had on a laptop)
    - Trackpad -- Z2's isn't bad (if small) but Apple still makes the best trackpad I've used
    - I know this is also trackpad, but I'm hooked on the two finger "right click"
    - Even though I've been a Windows user all the way back to Windows 3.0, I've found a number of features in Mountain Lion that I really like. I'll adjust.
    - The rMBP feels very sturdy and well made. The exterior finish on my Z2 is very, very easy to scratch

Things I like better on the Z2:
    - 2.5 pound weight -- that's insanely light.
    - A matte screen that is excellent -- the Z3 has better aRGB coverage than the rMBP
    - Really fast SSD
    - Power Media Dock (not optional on the Z2) made using the Z2 as a desktop very easy to hook up
    - Playing HD video (as a test), I get 4.5 hours on the internal battery and 8.5 hours with the battery slice.
    - With the battery slice attached, the Z2 is still nearly a pound lighter than the rMBP

Finally, Mobile Tech Review did a nice rMBP to Z2 comparison:
    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/u****reads/showflat.php?Number=42839

2. Teem45 macrumors member

I also have a Z2 and a rMBP. I like the rMBP better, mostly because I like OSX better. I sure am wishing right now that Sonys had the resale value of Macs. Still love the Z2 for what it is. Screen is beautiful for movies, etc. Battery life is incredible with slice battery and still light. And you're right...a $3K laptop with crappy speakers (the Z2).

Thanks for posting the comparison. I didn't even realize the Z3 was out. I better stay away! :D It's a good thing my husband could not care less about tech...two of us would be one too many.

Do you know if there is much of a market for used Z2's? I should really dump it while I can. It still looks like it is brand new. I'm just in love with my rMBP.

3. rrm998 thread starter macrumors regular

rrm998

I sure hope there's a market for used Z2's! :)

There are a few for sale on eBay. I saw one new Z2 with my config sold for $1950 so I don't have much hope of getting anything close to the $4K I paid for it.

4. Teem45 macrumors member

I paid about $3K for mine with tax (bought in Feb 2012). Looking back, it wasn't the smartest move ever, although after just watching that review you posted, I might get the Z2 back out and use it again for something! It is too painful to take a 60-70% cut on Ebay in less than six months.

The reviewer is right in that they both have their own uses. For portability, the Z2 (or Z3) is awesome. However, dragging that media dock around is no fun, and I pretty much never used it other than to burn recovery media. I would swear in that video review that she had a bright light shining on the rMBP. I don't think the picture difference is nearly as bad in real life as it looks in that video.

I need a new hobby that is not tech-related.