Sony Vegas Alternative

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MacTeen, Oct 5, 2008.

1. MacTeen macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I just bought FCE and I find it quite hard to use. There are special effects, yes, but some of them don't work (I don't know why). And when I tried to edit there, I can finish one music video, for example, for hours and that's pretty tiring. The only reason why I bought FCE is because of special effects. iMovie '08 is lacking in that department, so I searched for a little advanced program instead. I'm asking if there is a Sony Vegas alternative for the mac. That'll help my life greatly. If none, can any of you guys suggest a good easy-to-use uncomplicated program that I can be able to add special effects easily to my videos?

Thanks a million! :D

2. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

adding special effects in FCE is different than imovie. this is how you might be getting confused. FCE is closer, if not identical (save a few "pro" features) to FCP. the way you apply a special effect is very easy, though, once you get around to it. if you go into the effects tab in the project window, you will notice a bunch of folders. this is where you will find video and audio filters/transitions/generators, such as adding text, etc. adding an effect is simply done by dragging the effect into either the viewer or the clip itself in the timeline. you can then edit the effect further by going into the filter tab in the viewer window. it's all drag and drop and fully customizable. FCE is quite robust. don't know about sony vega as i've never used it. but, if you take the time to get around the learning curve for FCE, then it is probably the alternative you are looking for and more.

m suggestion would be to either, play around with it more, refer to the manual or take a class.

3. xStep macrumors 68000

If your finding it confusing, look for some tutorials such as the ones here for FCP, or buy a book.

4. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

use the adobe programs

Adobe Premiere is a good video editing program
    and if you use it with Adobe After Effects you'll be able to administer amazing special effects (graphic effects) with premiere

i dont really care for sony vegas, it didnt have much features and user ability for me

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

after effects

if you want special effects you should use adobe after effects. And if you really want to do amazing things you should use shake:p

6. MacTeen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I tried Premiere and I'm satisfied with it. I don't need to render every time I add clips to edit. :D Maybe I will try After Effects soon. :) Thanks again!

7. DaphPota18 macrumors newbie

There is a way of having sony vegas on a mac!!!!

after months and months of searching for a way to get sony vegas on a mac i finally found a tutorial on youtube that shows you how to do it. you have to download parallels desktop and windows 7 too but i think its worth it.!

Here's the tutorial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxpo2cJBKG0

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Somehow I doubt running something in Parallels is going to rival running FCE or FCP natively.

Good work finding a solution to a 2yr old problem. ;)

9. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

I guess it's SPAM