Sony Viao S?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipodlover77, Jul 15, 2011.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Hello,

Wondering if i got get some input here. A friend of mine is stuck between the microcenter macbook pros and the 2011 sony vaio s. Just curious, if you were in the position to either buy these two laptops, which one would you choose. Writing this on a mac forum will probably get me biased answers but hey, im trying to convince my friend to go mac (he wants to but needs just a tiny push to fully convince him)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0NkKNcBy_8

2. lfc macrumors regular

Well, the good looking girl has a Mac, so I'm gonna say get a Mac.

But really, Mac because of the experience you get with it. It's just much nicer then I ever had with any Windows OS. The specs seem similar too (could even be better depending on what configuration options and screen size your friend chooses). That and Macs look much better, which is always a plus :p

3. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

The new VAIO S series don't look overly sturdy to me so if he's planning on something sturdy I'd go for MBP.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

tat video is made by sony so of course its gonna say go for sony LOL

5. hawk1410, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

hawk1410 macrumors 6502

MBP all the way. Much better build quality and much better screen, even though the S series has a higher res screen(720p if SB and 900p if SA) the screen on it is really bad. The build quality of the S series is also very disappointing. S series has various models - SC, SB and SA. The SC and SB are inferior to the MBPs in every way. The SC has a plastic body and the SB a semi aluminum body, but both are not sturdy, see one and you will know what i mean, the lid seems like it is gonna snap if a little force is applied. The SA might even be worth a consideration as it has an ok GPU which the MBP lacks and the body is built out of carbon fiber so it is sturdier than the SB and SC, though still not in the same class as the MBP 13. But again the screen on it sucks, even though it is a 900p screen. Tell your friend that neither of the S series are in any way superior to the MBP 13.
    And you do realize that that video is made by Sony right. So it is biased as hell. They don't mention a single drawback of the Vaio. And they claim that you can't run Win 7 on the Mac. The added hybrid graphics on the base line S are a joke, the 6470m is like 10% better than the Intel IGP. No mention of the build quality or the screen of the Vaio.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The sony seems pretty close to the MBP spec wise.

It all boils down to the OS and what apps your friend wants to run. At this stage is really boils down to personal preference.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

sounds like he should get a sony. the hot girl says so, so do the specs, and i think she was being totally objective. right...

well, anyhow, tell him to get what he likes. i think if he goes to a store and looks at the computers himself he'll figure it out pretty quickly.

8. blackhand1001, Jul 15, 2011

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

If you can afford it go for the vaio SA, its a ton better. Its lighter than the sb series, made of better material and its got the same screen as the sony z series (1600x900). Its on the sonystyle website as s series premium. The screen quality on this thing blows the macbook and the SB in the video away.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...52921666333954&categoryId=8198552921644797501

If you want, its $50 for windows 7 pro which also lets your order sony's clean state which comes with no extra garbage and just a nice clean install. I think this option is worth it. The 7200rpm hdd is a free upgrade too as well. everything you can really just leave, none of the upgrades are really lifechanging other than maybe ssd.

9. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

that is just completely wrong. the z uses a 13.1 panel, and the SA a 13.3, size differences aside, the vaio Z screen is the best out there in this format, and might be as well the best TN panel that there is (it really throws punchs at the 95% gamut screen that the sager uses, and no the mbp 15 uses a quality screen but its nowhere near that quality)

but I would say, if gaming is of concern things can get blurry. Since the mbp offers thunderbolt thus an egpu is not only possible but on the making, if gaming on the go is the priority the SA is the only option.

@Hawk

the SB uses a magnesium chassis while the keyboard tray is made of a single milled piece of aluminum. The SA indeed uses carbon fiber on the chassis and the keyboard tray is the same

10. satchow macrumors 6502

You sure do get a lot of free stickers with that Vaio. The MBP only comes with 2 and nobody even bothers to put them on the wrist rests for you :(

I love how that chick calls the VAIO "snappy".

11. hawk1410, Jul 15, 2011

hawk1410 macrumors 6502

I knew i was missing a metal on SB. :p Anyway the quality is still bad. I checked one out and was just disappointed. Especially the lid, it was so wobbly. Though dont know how much of an improvement the SA is in terms of build quality as i have not seen one in person.
    From the looks of it, it seems that gaming is not a concern, so i think he might be looking at the SB or SC and not the SA, in that case the MBP would win in every department. It seems that he is comparing the lowest models of both in this case the SB(or SC if he is looking at BB models) and the base MBP 13 at micro center. We cant even argue the price factor as i believe that Micro Center has the MBP 13 for 1000$. So more the same as a base SB.

12. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I have seen only the SC here in brazil, not that they really sell that model, but the SB here is exactly like the SC, plastic with the keyboard tray in aluminum.

And I didnt liked the screen very much, it really can bend and twist, I wouldnt be confortable with that, I have such a track record of getting dead pixels because of transporting, that Im glad that the mbp has such a stiff lid

13. blackhand1001, Jul 15, 2011

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The new z series which is only preorder right now uses a 13.1 inch panel. the previous generation was a 13.3 inch display and thats the one you have seen before. Trust me its the same panel, I have seen both extensive. My friend has the previous z series and I have compared it with the new SA series.

14. hawk1410, Jul 15, 2011

hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Trust me it is not the same panel at all. The SA panel is of disapponting quality just like the SB. Low color gamut and low contrast ratio are what comes to mind when i think of the SA panel. And i dont know what Z are you talking about but am pretty sure the VPC Z11 has a 13.1 inch display and not 13.3 inch.
    Here is a comparo of the Z and the SA displays(pics not mine, from another forum) -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That MBP is $999 at Microcenter so if you have one nearby, they are the same price. I've always loved Sony laptops but I do prefer OS-X.

Sony should just adopt OS-X and we'll all be happy :D

16. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

err... thats bs. the last year z uses the same panel as this year z, unless you are talking about other Zs, however the panel would also be different