Sony vs iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hibbsy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Hibbsy macrumors member

So I have been reading all the stuff about GPU and CPU and glossy screens thinking that maybe I was missing something and the PC world was actually out in front and maybe imacs were so behind in the hardware stakes as to be embarrassing.

So I got to thinking if I were to buy a PC (shudder ;) ) then which manufacturer would I consider and the obvious one is Sony. And this is what I found ...

[​IMG]

and here is the spec:

Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile technology with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5600 (2 MB L2 cache, 1.83 GHz and 667 MHz FSB) and Intel® PRO/Wireless 802.11b/g
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium (English version)
    300 GB (S ATA / 7200rpm) hard disk drive
    2 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM (2 x 1 GB), maximum 2 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM (2 x 1 GB)
    19" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) widescreen X-black LCD with double lamp technology
    NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7400 notebook graphics processing unit with Total Available Graphics Memory of 335 MB
    DVD±RW/±R DL/RAM drive
    Hybrid TV Tuner & remote control
    Built-in 'Motion Eye' Digital Camera (30 frames per second, 0.3 Mega Pixels) with Motion Picture Function (max. resolution (pixels) VGA/640*480/raw data) and built-in microphone
    Wireless keyboard (UK QWERTY)
    Centrino, Centrino Logo, Core Inside, Intel, Intel Logo, Intel Core, Intel Inside and Intel Inside Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries. Microsoft, Windows and Vista are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries

all this for £1400 , which is about what you could get a 24" iMac for :)

TV tuner is nice but aside from that the mac wins on all counts.

Sony have other desktop machines with blueray and TV tuners but prices are higher and they come without a display and camera.

Thoughts?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Buy an Elgato EyeTV for your iMac. Overall a far better system.

3. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Thats a decent pc. The thing is it doesnt run OS X, i think most people agree that apple computers cant be compared to a windows pc.

4. Hibbsy thread starter macrumors member

I agree of course but was surprised to find such an obvious direct competitor to an imac with a lower spec and similar price.

I expected to be able to buy some amazing quad core HD blueray do dah with an amazing GPU for the same money.

In the final analysis OSX and iLife add up to a pretty cool package, which is why mine is halfway here from china ! :)

5. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I saw one of these in Costco today. It looked alright. The styling is not nearly as nice as the iMac and one other MAJOR PROBLEM: It doesn't run OSX. ;)

6. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

7. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Why bother with Sony or Apple when you can get this beauty?

[​IMG]

And it's only $1200 :eek:

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Gorgeous.

Profile, what profile? A bug ugly profile.

9. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

That looks like an ATM.

10. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Man that is some fugly ass **** right there, the fact that it doesn't run OS X just makes it look like garbage.

The Sony looks kind of ugly too, looks like Mac Mini w/ a monitor stuck on top it. If you do decide to get that mother load garbage then ask for XP instead of that Vista paint job...

For a second there I thought this was going to be all the stickers super glued onto the computer lol... Damn that would be a lot of stickers...