Sony vs Samsung Dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DarkNetworks, May 27, 2008.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Hi all,

I've been looking at a couple of LCD TVs and am interested in a few models that I think would suit my budget. I've been looking at the Samsung LE37R87BDX. It looks quite impressive and has quite a number of good reviews on it. I am also looking at the Sony KDL-37P3020 which doesn't seem to be that bad either. Both models look generally good and I just can't decide on which model I should get. Sony also offers the Sony KDL32S3000 which I believe is a higher spec model but 32 inch, should I go for the smaller size screen but better video quality? I'm not really into LCD TVs so I haven't really got that much idea about it. Please advise. I generally will be using it for my PS3, Xbox 360 and my Satellite Subscription service which is Standard Definition. Thanks in advance.

2. thinkband macrumors regular

Both Sony and Samsung make top LCDs.

I have a 26" Samsung, that was top of the line last year. The price depreciated quite rapidly from $720 to $500, so that is a bit annoying, but maybe that is the case for all LCDs. The screen is very nice and it works well for my game systems (Xbox 360 + Wii). You might want to add Panasonic in there too as they make great TVs.

At the top of the line price range, they all look the same, really. So either go for which case looks nicer, or which costs less, or which one gets the best reviews. You can't go wrong.

3. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

I have just recently solved such a dilemma myself, i ended up getting myself a Sony KDL40V3000 for the living room and a Sony KDL20S3030 for my bedroom. They are both Excellent TV's with good SD picture from my Sky+ box and analogue terrestrial, but where it absolutely shine is in HD. the 40V3000 is a Full HD Panel and i have both my PS3 and 360 running at 1080p (HDMi for PS3 and Component for 360) and there is such a difference between the 2, it cant just be the Component vs HDMI thing.

In short I'd go for the sony, we have a 3 month old Samsung in the crew room at work and its painfull to watch knowing that that picture is coming out of a TV that cost more tan my 40 incher and is only a 37, it is that bad.

4. eMace macrumors member

I have a Samsung and have absolutely no complaints about it. Crystal clear picture @ HiDef, good speakers, and it looks pretty nice too.

Also, I would get a smaller size, better picture over a bigger size, lesser picture. A lot of people say there isn't much difference between 720p and 1080p, but personally, I see a major difference when viewing BluRay. Unless you're sitting really far away.

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Just so you know, Sony and Samsung built a joint LCD factory in mexico a few years back. I do not know, however if they are made on the same conveyor belts, but they must share some or most of the same components.

6. ugamac macrumors newbie

I have been a manager of the TV department at Circuit City for 2 years now. I have seen MANY different tv models come and go and I can tell you that based off of picture quality, build quality, and number of defective sets that Samsung is always a better television then Sony.