Sony X505 or Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mastamarek, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Mastamarek macrumors regular

Mastamarek

Its been two years since my last laptop update and I'm in a market for a new portable machine. I found two that interest me the most. The X505 from Sony or the new MBA. I love the X505 looks and how thin and small it is, unfortunately, its been discontinued and has some pretty old specs but for portability I think it still wont matter. Now I curious about your opinions on that subject.
    Marek

2. Catch macrumors 6502

The Sony does not run OSX. The MBA runs OSX and Windows. If OSX is important to you then the choice is made for you. :)

Regards,

C

3. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I'd look into either the TX or the XPSm1330.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

First decide which specs you need, then find the machine that fits them.

5. meagain macrumors 68030

Am I gleaning right that the x505 has no trackpad? :eek:

6. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Go with the X505... for browsing the internet and sending email... why would anyone need OS X? A PC is probably much better for that... God knows I have to load up FireFox or Internet Explorer in VMWare Fusion sometimes just to browse a site. Also the Sony beats the MBA in many categories such as weight, hard drive speed, small form factor, i/o ports, stereo speakers, ethernet. Plus for technology from 4 years a go... its damn cool. You can find it on ebay for $1399.

7. JWest macrumors 6502

The X505 is 4 years old, is it not? (circa 2003-2004 if I remember correctly).

8. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

$1399 for a 4 year old machine when you can get the MBA for 1799? the MBA is obviously the better choice. although you should also consider for ex the ThinkPad X Series. not as thin and light, but still extremely portable and much better equipped

9. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Go with the MBA, why start off in the hole with outdated specs.
    Learning new ways to get things done can be fun.

10. Catch macrumors 6502

11. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

12. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

$1399 on ebay... it looks so HOT. :D Everyone knows that macs are terrible for browsing the web... this is the perfect comm link system. Drives can be upgraded... 3g can be added, firewire... check, ethernet... check, PC slot... check.. What a beauty... 4 years later you would think that apple could do better.... innovation my glutimus maximus. Price is not an option for true ultra portability... at 1.69 pounds.. this kicks the MBA's ass. Who the heck wants to haul around 1.31 more pounds each day? More weight without 3G.. o' the complete unsophisticated horror. This all serves to remind me when horses got replaced by cars... vulgarity. Sure cars were faster.. but just look at where the planet is at right now.

13. diabolic macrumors 68000

14. macjay macrumors 6502

Good advice. I want 13.3", matte screen, MBP-style keyboard, runs OSX.

That computer doesn't exist. What to do?

15. TheStu macrumors 65816

Um, how exactly are macs terrible for browsing the web?

I agree that the MBA would be better with an aircard of some sort. But trying to pick one is quite difficult.

16. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Simple... you have to load Windows... to run Internet Explorer.. to use certain sites. Heck why not just boot into windows on a cheaper computer like the X505. If you use safari or even firefox at all on a Mac... then you know IE is where its at. Darn web developers that code on Microsoft web platforms. go the X505 route... directly into windows.. no Parallels, no VMWare, no bootcamp... go straight young man. Save yourself the time of having to install XP... who wants to go through that?

17. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

i rarely rarely run into sites that are not compatible with Safari and FireFox (the only ones i can think of right off the top of my head is Microsoft Live Local Search...but that's microsoft...go figure. works in FireFox though). You are making this way way bigger of an issue than it should be. and I honestly can't recall the last time somebody recommended Internet Explorer over a browser like FireFox.

18. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I love macs for browsing the web, who even thought that they suck at that....:cool:

19. macRat17 macrumors member

macRat17

If all you are going to do is check email/surf why not look into the asus eee

20. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

X505. I've got it and its amazing. Well worth 2 grand or more, if you see one for 1400 then buy it by all means!

Sure, it doesn't have the latest dual core processor. Who cares? If you're just checking email, word processing and browsing the web, you don't need any of that. It has way more features then the macbook air (audio ports, usb ports, video, ethernet (all those are through a dongle though)) and it weighs less, its thinner etc... Awesome laptop. I have 3 batteries (they're little rod-shaped things) and I can get about 8 hours of work out if it on battery.

21. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

No I'm not... I am not... many sites are incompatible with both Safari & Firefox in OS X. Yes sirree... I had to recommend a cheap computer to someone on Monday due to safari and firefox not being able to work properly with a certain colleges website. Before that my biz partner had to get a $3600 Sony Vaio just to load his house security cameras. It's a terrible problem i tell ya... and it seems to affect rich people even more adversely. But you all know the problem I'm talking about... just admit it. I love my lil apples too... but Safari sucks.. well except for the cool implementation of RSS feeds... God i keep coming back just for RSS.

You tell em Taylor. would you be interested in selling yours? I know its a vulgar question to pose but geez I want the power too. I'm like a fiend.

22. cube macrumors G5

23. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

re: tracepriest

Eh not really. I just love it too much and its going be a museum piece someday, yano. Cost $4500 to get it imported from Japan in 2003 :cool:

You really should look into finding one though. If you get a "short" 1.8'' SSD drive and swap out the stock 20gb it FLIES with XP. I've never had any speed complaints (I use onenote, outlook and firefox on it)

If you send me a PM with a price in mind I might give you a more definitive answer.

24. JWest macrumors 6502

Once again, why would you choose a 4 year old laptop over a new one when the prices are hovering around the same?