Sony XD EX-3 Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by I'mAMac, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

I am probably going to buy the smaller Sony XD Cam that uses the solid-state SxS card. I just wanted to see if anybody has one and can tell me if its good or not, or even just the pros/cons. Thanks a lot in advance. :)

2. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

My only issue with the EX 1/3 is that they are unevenly weighted and heavier than you'd imagine from first looks which makes it a bastard for handheld work. The EX3 with the semi shoulder mount isnt really a bonus, I'm just going to get a shoulder support for the EX1 I'm getting.

3. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Yeah I was afraid of that. I heard somewhere that it was heavy for a small camera but I didn't know if there was any truth to it. Is that mostly because of the lens being interchangeable? (heavier lens maybe makes it front heavy) Does the shoulder mount help at all? I'd like to not have a ton of weight on my shoulder. But weight won't stop me from getting it.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Man I'm jealous. :p If I had the money I would have gotten the EX1.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The EX1 is heavy for "handheld" camera and it's center of gravity is towards the front end. Using both hands is pretty much a must unless you want to kill your wrist. The SxS cards are pretty sweet to use (although they aren't cheap) and the XDCAM xfer software is nice as well (although occasionally it does have a small "hiccup" every now and then). A downside to a tapeless work flow is that, depending on what kind of shooting you do, you could end up w/a lot of clips that need to be re-named before you bring them into FCP. I once got a couple of P2 cards w/about 140 clips total on them and I was not a happy camper at that point in time. I've only spent a small amount of time w/the EX1 so far, but it's an impressive little cam, IMO. Also, you should read up on the CMOS rolling shutter problems that effect the EX1 (as well as all other CMOS based video cameras out there right now). Depending on what you shoot these problems may or may not affect you.

Lethal

6. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Well luckily, I don't usually edit and the editor that a work with a lot is actually the one who is pushing for his company to move to XD. Since his company is one of my big clients, I figure I'll buy an XD. The big thing about the SxS cards though is that there is no digitizing. This is the big attraction because it would save soo much time in the editing process, they would have time to look over all of the clips. Thanks for that info about the rolling shutter :cool:

7. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

I think the shoulder mount is essential if your not using a tripod as its just to heavy and unbalanced. Your shoulders are much better at taking weight than your arms. Find a shop that sells the cams and test for yourself you'll be suprised.

8. Spokko macrumors newbie

Sony EX3

Hi, can somebody tell me what to do to make sure that black clothes will be black in the video with the SONY EX3?? I tried almost everything, clearly not everything, but still some clothes are brown in the video. It is making me mad.

9. davdchai macrumors newbie