Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Well they will redesign the Z5 as this is a new release strategy for Sony now, plus the maker of the best camera modules on the market that all OEMs are scrambling for will use the opportunity to fit its best module and lens, and its software is in desperate need of an update, so expect the rumours to be true.

I really hope you are right....

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Sony Z3+ announced for global markets. Basically the Z4 that was announced for Japan-only a few weeks ago.

Nice update, I suppose, but I'm also disappointed.

And there doesn't seem to be anything on an updated Compact version.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sony Z3+ announced for global markets. Basically the Z4 that was announced for Japan-only a few weeks ago.

Nice update, I suppose, but I'm also disappointed.

And there doesn't seem to be anything on an updated Compact version.
It's the Z3s

Camera, speakers, ram, screen remain same - just 810 instead of 801 and 0.3mm thinner but a smaller battery....

Tbh doesn't sound like an upgrade at all.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's the Z3s

Camera, speakers, ram, screen remain same - just 810 instead of 801 and 0.3mm thinner but a smaller battery....

Tbh doesn't sound like an upgrade at all.

Agreed. I actually think the biggest "upgrade" is the flap-less USB port.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I was waiting to see what Sony would do with next gen..

Since there is no new compact and I don't really need a new phone yet, I guess I'll wait for the next round. Unless I can get a hell of a deal on current gen.

flapless is probably biggest upgrade unless they have done miracles with this apparently new revision of the 810

though 32gb standard is certainly a good thing

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The Z3 Compact is perfectly fine right now.

The new Compact just needs to make a few adjustments (processor, flap etc) and sort the camera out.

It's actually the TOP selling phone in Japan, full stop - even outselling the iPhone. It is a quality phone.

I thought it would be a one month interim phone for me, but I can see it lasting longer now! Probably the whole summer methinks.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Agreed. I actually think the biggest "upgrade" is the flap-less USB port.
Yeah your prob right.

Thankfully I use the magnetic dock for charging.

Actually just seen they removed the magnetic dock completely from the Z3+

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Sony's launch week isn't over yet boys...

New flagship Xperia to be announced on Thursday according to invites Sony sent out, complete with design engineers on hand to talk about the new design:

A number of Asian media sites are reporting that Sony Mobile is due to hold press conferences next week that could see the next Xperia flagship launch in the region. First of all, a conference will take place in Taiwan on Wednesday 27 May where the Xperia C4 and Z4 Tablet are expected, along with the Z3 Plus (Z3+) according to reports.

In addition, Sony Mobile Hong Kong has sent round invites to a press conference on 28 May relating to “the new Xperia flagship”. The invite references “Top camera, screen, sound, water and design all rolled into one.” Sony is also sending four product development engineers from Japan to the Hong Kong press conference to talk about the design of the new models. We’ll let you know if we do hear of an Asian Xperia Z4/Z3+ launch next week (remember a similar press conference is also taking place in India on 26 May).

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/05/2...taiwan-next-week-for-the-new-xperia-flagship/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.