Sony's Answer to the Mini as an HTPC?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by gkarris, Jan 30, 2008.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Attached Files:

2. dbam987 macrumors regular

wow, me like a lot!

Its a very good attempt by Sony to venture into this market. Too bad the price is way outta my league. The Mac Mini comes in at about a third the price... But the Sony TP comes stacked with good hardware. A dedicated graphics card CAN fit in a small package like that, therefore I fully expect Apple to whip up an update to the Mac Mini to match it, at a better price and I'm sold.

3. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^^ that's true...

Now if only those laptop slotted Blu-ray/HD DVD combo drives would go way down in price... :)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

see the problem is they could make the mini full featured and all that, but then the price will go up. its hard to find a balance. i think apple are kinda lost with what to do with the machine at this point.

5. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^^ yea, I think mainly it's that Apple, to reduce size, had to go with laptop parts, which are by far more expensive.

HP's slimline now, compared to when it was first introduced, has options to make it a full multimedia computer also, and it's pretty cool - discreet graphics with HDMI, Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVDRW drive..

Sometimes I think Apple is actually behind the ball...

Attached Files:

6. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

There's no way I'd buy one at that price. I'm perfectly happy with what I'm getting from my mini at the moment and didn't look twice at those after I saw the price.

Plus I think they're kind of ugly.

7. errol macrumors 6502

errol

Yes... but.. none of them can run Leopard, and Eyetv, and frontrow, and, well.. you get where I'm going :)

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well yes, this is to show whats capable in a small enclosure though. but its a tough game. small and compact is what apple wants, so it limits what they put in. they also want it to be cheap. also limiting what they put in. its a tough game to play.

9. elcid macrumors 6502

Roomba anyone?

Ya, I just want a mini with SR, a small speed bump and at least the X3100.

10. harcosparky macrumors 68020

OUCH!!!!
    For that kind of $$$$$$$$$$, I'll buy a MacPro!!!!

11. devincco macrumors member

devincco

That is FUGLY and way way way overpriced. Leave it to Sony to overprice something like that.

12. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yeah, thats way overpriced for what you're getting, and the round design is stupid for this kind of thing.

My ideal Media Center PC/HTPC is one that looks like a piece of stereo equipment or a receiver.

Like this : http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15739#

13. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

The Sony (TP) Toilet Paper series?'

And they are out of their mind with those prices... $3000 no monitor? No 802.11n? No gigabit ethernet? No Firewire 800? Only 2.1ghz with only 3MB cache? Only a 8400 GT? (which btw for those that don't know is a lot slower than a HD2600)