Sony's Big Fall Hitters = Just Average :(

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Sep 5, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So we all know by now that Lair has found itself pretty much on the meh! front review wise, but it's starting to look like Heavenly Sword is following suit by being pretty much 'average'...

IGN just reviewed it and gave it a 7. Whilst that doesnt surprise me after the demo, I would have scored it similar or less, it does leave a gaping hole in the already gaping AAA lineup for this winter.

And my favorite and most trusted source for opinion 'Edge™' magazine have awarded it a 6. Definetly putting it out the running on my 'to buy' list.

But what of the other big hitters - Unchartered for example. Well to be honest - I was in rapture with the game when first heard of it, but subsequent video previews, have left me in a similar meh! conundrum. The game is starting to look too much like GOW for my liking.

Look's like my hope this winter now falls on Ratchet & Clank..... If this turns out to be equally meh! then my poor old ps3 is going to be getting no love from me for the next few months.

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Yeah it kinda sucks. I wasn't gonna get Lair anyway but now I won't for sure. Stll getting Heavenly Sword since I enjoyed the demo a lot and yes I have read all the reviews but I still wanna play it.

Warhawk, however, is an amazing game that everyone I know who has played it is addicted to it. Uncharted still looks good imho and Ratchet and Clank... well come on. Still some hope left for Sony

And lots of games left for everyone :D Halo,Mass Effect, CoD4, Mario.....etc. etc. etc.

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm just hoping I manage to get through BlueDragon before Eternal Sonata come out at the end of the month.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Heavenly Sword has an average of 86% on gamerankings(most all of the reviews in the 80's)....one/two average review should not spoil everything. That IGN review is suspect....it contradicts all the other reviews out there but its just an opinion.

Lair is a big disappointment to me bacause I wanted it but HS is still top of my list....more positive reviews than negative.

So out of the 3 big titles released so far we got 2 scoring great with one sucking some major booty.

So far for the fall line up on all consoles we have some average/sucky games..

Blue Dragon
    Stranglehold
    Lair
    Two Worlds
    MOH

Bless

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Like I say it was Edge™ review that did it for me. I do trust them, they always seem to echo my own opinion on games.

Let's see what Halo 3 gets ? Though I'm not interested in buying it, I'd be interested to see what reviews it gets.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This is part of the reason why I couldn't be bothered holding onto my PS3 (well, that and the minor profit I made selling it :D). It's just not the PS3's time now.

It's a bit of a shame. Remote Play sounds like one of the most potentially great features in gaming ever, Sony are building such a good foundation for games (barring Home, bleh, just give me something like Xbox Live and don't charge for customisation). But there's nothing truly great or a game that shows the power of the system yet :eek:

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I read the reviews but it really doesnt factor in on my purchase but in the case of lair where every review is basically the same I'll trust the reviewers.

Halo 3.....please...that game will be the virgin Mary second coming no matter the flaws. I predict 9.6-10 across the board.

So far warhawk and HS got me so the PS3 will get its fair share of play time.

Bless

8. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I'm eyeing Heavenly Sword heavily, and a few of the PSN titles (the human slingshot one and an over the top view slot car/Super Sprint esque racer as well, I forget the name of those two titles but both are shown in the new Game Informer).

Little Big Planet when it hits as well as Killzone 2 also.

Ps3 is on the downward slope right now but it does have the most upside IMO...nowhere to go but up, really. ;) I still <3 my 360 but again, the Ps3 has nowhere to go but up; as long as Microsoft keeps doing good things (as it looks will be the continuing trend) - the next few years of gaming could be the greatest ever in the history of the industry.

I predict I'll own a Ps3 within a year (if not sooner). :)
    (probably a used 20 gigger though)

9. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Halo 3? well... it isn't looking too good from screenshots and trailers, it looks more like Halo 2 on 720p and "look we've added a stupid feature that we are going to hype to the end of time".

It will probably still score well (otherwise reviewers might find themselves castrated by Halo fans the morning thereafter) but the game won't be as good... Bungie has lost its touch. Well thats just what I think from what I've seen from the game but hopefully Bungie will prove me wrong.

Ratchet & Clank will be awesome and Warhawk is already a hit, the PS3 is looking good actually.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Say that out loud and the xbox clan will eat your heart and S*** down the rip hole.

Zero I think you are talking about PAIN and wipout HD....wipeout I want but the other does nothing for me but I have to see more of it.

Everyday shooter looks like a PSN game I could really get into. The fall lineups of both the 360 and PS3 looks the same to me except for Halo being "the game to end all games"

I want to see these 3rd party titles coming out for both platforms.....those will be the make or break for me.

Bless

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Were you in the beta? I was, and I enjoyed Halo 3's multiplayer far more than Halo 2's, and that's saying something.

12. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Well as Liar has proven graphics arent a big deal. Its still comes to playablity. I have a felling the antiBungie stance in here would not be so if they were still on their own rather than being saved from financial ruin by the big bad MS. Say what you will and you are entitled to it. And as to the other remark about xbox clan jumping about a negative comment on Halo dont forget the nintendo people that will blindly play the same game for 20 years rehashed over and over again with obvious shortcomings that were excused in 2d because tech prevented but now is "integral gameplay" in the 3d remake. FPS exxploration is just lazy developers with poor gamedesign

13. Gilgam macrumors newbie

They rated Blue Dragon 6 too... (sorry for this could'nt, resist :p) More seriously, Heavenly sword looks great but maybe on the short side...wich may put it in the "to rent" category. My favorite source (Game Informer) rated HS 8.75 (and Blue Dragon 9.00 wich made me buy it :D). Warhawk is great, Lair is average at best (just my feeling with the game) and we'll see for the other games as they come (they will eventually :p).

14. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

It's a shame about Lair. I wasn't gonna buy it cause it didn't look appealing to me, but I'm sure many people's hopes were resting on it.

Heavenly Sword is probably not a bad game, but they likely wanted it to be a huge hit along the lines of GOW, a must-have title. Here it falls short. Probably good though, but not a system seller.

Warhawk I think is amazing, so much fun. I think this game is going to do VERY WELL among people who own a PS3. However, will it make people go out and BUY a PS3? Somewhat doubtful, I think. But it's a great game to have in their library!

Uncharted.....not sure. I have a weird feeling it *might* go the same way as Lair. They'll try to make it look as pretty and impressive as possible, so they can say "only the powerful PS3 can handle this!", and I just hope that they won't forget to make the controls and gameplay good, too.

Ratchet and Clank will be great, I am almost certain. I'd be very surprised if they mess this one up. And this series has quite a lot of fans too, so I think it will be good for the PS3.

HOWEVER, if you ask me what I think the REAL system sellers will be...I don't think we will see any this year. The games that are really gonna push the system off the shelves are Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid (unless they somehow, miraculously, manage to screw those up). The next big Tekken and Final Fantasy will also make a big difference. (Notice how all these are sequels...?)

Little Big Planet could broaden the target audience a little, if done right. But in the end, it might be too "gimmicky" for some people....although I consider the Wii to be gimmicky, and look how well that one's doing.

Losing the Grand Theft Auto exclusivity was a really tough blow for Sony, even if they won't admit it. There were SOO many people who bought a PS2 just so they could play GTA3, that one was a REAL system seller. And with all the hype and expectations, having GTA4 exclusively would have given the PS3 the boost it needs right now. But I guess Microsoft had the bigger wallet here.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

was kinda expected for some games (Lair) and mroe unecpected for others (Blue Dragon, heavenly sword)
    Uncharteered is already under the radar for most people now

so far we still are waiting for the unexpected hit like GTA3 which made people buy a PS2

the first real system seller for the PS3 IMHO will be gran turismo 5 .. the other games of the series were responsible for millions of console sales and this will continue to do so
    on metal gear solid 4: i'm sceptical about that ... there still many more people who didn't like it at all

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

But my other mag of choice games™ liked Blue Dragon :p

But it was the demo's of both that has affected me the most.

Whilst BD got a 6, i really enjoyed the demo so decided to give it a whirl regardless (aware that it wasnt AAA material).

However, I never enjoyed the HS demo and thought it felt crappy (the zero punctuation video summed it up for me) and so now I have seen the 6/10 result - it's just reaffirmed to me to give it a miss.

After all I don't like Ninja Gaiden (never did) but on the strength of a 9/10 review everywhere for Sigma, i said 'oh well' and bought it. After about an hour of playing, the game has been sitting on the shelf gathering dust.

I'm still going to have to listen to my heart and my feelings of the demo and give HS a miss (unless I trade in NG:Sigma ;) )

17. Gilgam macrumors newbie

On Sony's side there a few other games that I look forward to, Hot Shot Golf 5 (always enjoyed those), Folklore and Haze. While I think that none of these will be system sellers we MAY have a pleasant surprise here (or they can be a complete mess :p). And if EBgames website is to be trusted Unreal Tournament 3 is released this year (but not an complete exclusive) :D

18. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I played the Folklore demo and thought it was dreadful. :( Haze could be promising though.

19. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

No, I know WipeOut...that's my all time fave hovercraft racer series. :D

Found it...
    the game I was talking about is PixelJunk Racers, looks really fun. :)

Yeah, Pain was the other one.

20. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

omg u dont like Halo? u r 2 bad. halo 3 4eva it is going 2 b teh Pwnz0rz!!!1!!!1!1!

You know, owning both a PS3 and a 360, and not taking gaming too, too seriously, I don't see why people have so little faith in video game reviewers to be honest. We're not talking Linsday Lohan fans here - flaming the Halo series will NOT get you castrated. If the Halo series has gotten good reviews so far that's, honestly, because it's been good. If you don't like FPSs, no big deal - just don't play it.

Sooner or later, the PS3 is going to start getting some excellent, exclusive titles - let's not forget the the 360 was slow out of the gate also, but is doing fine now.

I can't deny that the PS3 has been disappointing so far - I'm sure Warhawk is great, but no single-player storyline is... a misstep. Every game seems to be a bit underwhelming in some way. I'm sure soon enough a game will come that turns that around...

(Final Fantasy XIII... please...?... or follow through on that FFVII demo...?)

21. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I don't think "Halo 3 = greatest thing since sliced bread #2" but I certainly believe that the game will be rock solid awesome especially after reading all the work Bungie's put into testing and balancing/fine tuning the game, especially multiplayer (article here).

22. progx macrumors regular

progx

I'll not worried for Sony. The Xbox 360 had a "meh" holiday season last year, with Gears of War being the only top title.

I think Heavenly Sword will be the best of the bunch. It looks great!

I'm eagerly awaiting Metal Gear Solid 4. It's shaping up to be the true killer app.

We already know Halo 3 is going to be the hit of this year. Many more Xboxs will bite the dust when Halo fanatics play it on the first day. All that Halo money will go back into the warranty program. Ha. :D

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The 'only' top title? Um… in a word, no. Unless you're blind and see only GeOW when you see the Xbox.

24. progx macrumors regular

progx

That was the only big app. There were other good games, but nothing compared to Gears. Maybe if you read, I said holiday season last year, I wasn't talking about the current line-up of titles.