Sony's "L-control or LANC"?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ChrisA, Jul 9, 2014.

1. ChrisA macrumors G4

is LANC still relevant? I have an older underwater video camera housing that works with any camera that can be controlled by Sony's LANC (a.k.a. "L-Control") Sony Mini DV tape based cameras used this and I read someplace there are adaptors that connect LANC with newer cameras. The housing is reliable to at least the 130 feet of depth I have taken it to

I know I can still by 15 year old cameras on eBay and Mini DV is not a bad format if it is shot well. But if I can use a newer camera it would be great.

Or to ask this same thing from a different direction: What is the best quality video camera that has LANC and is smaller than 9'L x 5'W x 5'H.

The housing is just a big aluminum box with a clear window in front and will hold any camera that will fit. My old DV cam died and I want the best replacement and a spare or two as well.

here is a photo: [​IMG]

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I know cameras like the FS799 and C300 have LANC so I think it's still relevant. Whether or not a camera that fits in that housing will also have LANC is a different matter.

3. ChrisA thread starter macrumors G4

Thanks, I had guessed that LANC had disappeared because I don't see it in new consumer camcorders. it used to be on even low-end models.

4. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

This is probably the adapter cable for LANC you're thinking of (works on some newer Sony camcorders that have their proprietary "D" connector):

http://www.studio1productions.com/lanc-sa.htm

Check the list for model compatibility. Hope this helps.

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I have a Canon XA10 and I've been using a Varizoom controller with it -- pretty sure it's a LANC device.

The XA10 is quite small.