Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Funny. No, I just don't think in 2012 that an audio sample editor should cost $300. It's ridiculous. Sony amortized the development costs of 90% of the features of Sound Forge years ago. What's left is just profit. Yes, porting a Mac version took some money, but the cost is shared across both platforms. I just think pricing Sound Forge at $300 is arrogant.

I don't disagree in your premise. It would be great if pricing was set as you suggest; but a seller will almost always try to find a way to earn the most profit, and the price is set thereafter. Also, for most professionals, if this tool gets the job done then it's worth it's price tenfold. Say for example, if it replicates some of the editing features from Pyramix, then it's a steal, as no other editor I've found at that price range does that. And Pyramix costs $1000.

Sloper

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
Still no mention of it on their website. Weird. You'd think they'd at least make promotional reference to it.

I can't wait though. I was a Sound Forge user for years before switching to Mac and never found anything I was as comfortable with.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It is weird, it has also been a couple weeks since the last video update.

They say it's shipping this month, I don't know why they don't just go ahead and announce full specs.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
All I care about is if they release CD Architect for Mac

Having to run Winblows on the Mac just for CDA is a pain...
And don't even try to get me going on running VMWF or PLLLS... sloppy workaround

I want a nice fresh OS, without all the add-in garbage, running PT10 and CDA on my MP5,1

Period.

They drop CDA for Mac, like I've been begging for - FOR YEARS - and I'll be STOKED ! ! !

If they offer me an upgrade on 5.2, I'll be even more happy ;)

*crossing fingers*

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Still no info on their site.

Corporate, Customer Service, and Tech Support 'have no information' - or at least have been instructed NOT to discuss with consumers.... still.

Oh well. Apparently they want us to sit and wait through the month..... even though they issued the press release.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
No new news on this still... been google searching sony+mac daily....

Also been checking their site daily....

Crossing my fingers for a CD Architect for Mac

I still can't believe they don't even have this updated on their site yet

Leads me to a couple conclusions, but I guess we'll see within a couple/few days heh?

519tbarr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
hey guys. SCS tends to have their own timing on releases. We will be lucky to see this released this year. Hot for the serving is Vegas Pro 12 just released this week. That will take precident for Sony.
It is a tad ridiculous that there is no mention of it on the SCS site.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Fail.

Didn't make September.

I wonder if the September thing was mistakenly pointed at SF, when in fact, it was actually the September drop of Vegas??????

I'm impatient. ;) I really need CD Architect for Mac.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah, really gives the impression that the guys who put out the press release weren't really in communication with the guys finishing off the software.

Also the finallyonthemac.com website hasn't been updated in weeks even though they supposedly have four more videos coming.

Glad to see this software coming to mac, but I can't say they way their moving toward release has inspired much confidence in the company.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Yeah, it's a weird press release.

I think the source of release was dated Sept 13th???
http://photos.prnewswire.com/medias...o&prnid=20110411%2fLA80300LOGO&action=details
The release article is dated Sept 7th, and they say 'today'
^^That's all backwards

The release quotes Dave Chaimson, VP of global marketing, but he wasn't quoted giving a release date or estimate

The end of the release article says WILL BE released Sept 2012
But, above, they said TODAY... on the 7th...

Source: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...nd-mastering-software-for-os-x-168880706.html

I don't know.... wouldn't even care, other than I really wanna get back on CDA natively on Mac.... Peak sucks in my opinion, as do Wavelab and the others.... CDA is so much better for workflow... again, IMO

I think maybe someone threw out a date when they weren't supposed to, they found a huge bug that needed fixing before release, or they had it confused with the date for Vegas

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Message from the company that wrote the press release. ....

Hi ---look for an update (very) soon. :)
--
**********anonymized*************
Bender/Helper Impact, Inc.
11500 W. Olympic Blvd. #655
Los Angeles, CA 90064

Subject: Sony - Sound Forge For Mac

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Well. I give up on them, and hopes of ever running CD Architect ever again.

Time to move on and get used to an inferior workflow as a solution.

I can't believe they didn't update CDA for Mac. :mad::confused::eek::mad:

And I also can't believe they don't support Snow Leopard.
Not a deal breaker, but it would have been nice

Pffffff. No more Sony for me. I refuse to run CDA via PLL's or VMWF

pooooooooooooooof

mythos

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Am I missing something here ?

I've downloaded the trial version and the manual but I don't see a way to make crossfade loops.

Audio editing and loop creation is a big part of what I do and in the past I've used Peak and before that digidesign's early Sound Tools etc.

Surely I can make crossfade lops in Sound Forge ? But it doesn't even seem to recognize loop points in AIF and WAV files I've created in other apps.

If Sound Forge doesn't do it I'm going to have to find something that will now that Peak is gone.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Sorry it doesn't include CDA, that's a bummer for you.

It's not something I use, so I'm glad to see it released. Downloading the demo now.

Sloper

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
Been using the demo for a couple of days on my Mac Pro. I should say *trying* to use the demo. This software is so buggy I don't know where to start. Ugh. I was really really excited about this release too. I'm running Lion with 8GB of RAM and my system is solid, but Sound Forge just crashes constantly. Trying to run any plugin results in a crash - even the demo plugins from Izotope! I hate to say it, this feels so Beta they probably should've waited at least another six months to release it. I was ready to plunk down my $269 but I just can't justify it at this stage.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Anyone here using CD Architect???

Anyone here willing to try something?

Patch CD Architect with WineBottler, and see how/if it runs.
http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

I just learned about this today.

I can't try it till Sunday, but if nobody else tries before me, I'll post my results.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Count me out

Boy did Sony blow it. Not making it work on Snow Leopard, where most audio pros are on because of all the issues of Lion and Mountain Lion.

BIG mistake.

Lost this sale.

:apple:

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Running. No audio, hahahahaaaa, and it's not finding my plugins, but running.

(Tested on my MacBook)

If I can figure out how to patch the audio, and get my plugs showing, I'll be happy.

Otherwise, it's off to Quattro

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-10-07 at 3.58.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-10-07 at 3.58.04 PM.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 115

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Lots of missing features from the PC version as well. Switching from the PC version won't be an option until they catch the mac version up to the PC features.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15983203/

And what's sad is if it doesn't sell well, they'll use this half baked release as an excuse not to do more mac apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.