Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crossingover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Hi! I've been a PC user all my life, and I finally decided I needed something more stable and reliable for my studies in college. I had always been anti-MAC thinking they were just some weird toys for fanboys, but a friend convinced me to see the light of MACs.:apple:

I decided that I really like the black macbook (yes, I know more expensive for color, but I might as well buy what I like when i'm spending hundreds of dollars already)

I would like to know your opinion as to when to buy the macbook. I know Leopard is coming out "soon," so I am not sure whether I should wait for that.

Another thing that concerns me is whether I should go with the new MacBook models (whenever they come out) or just buy the older (current) models because they already have all the bugs worked out and revisions made. I cannot afford to be a quality control tester for Apple's new products. I need something stable and reliable., and I don't have time to waste dealing with the nightmare that is tech support / depot repairs.

So what do you guys suggest?

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Just wait for Leopard. You've waited this long, what's another month or so. Also, I really don't think there will be any hardware updates to the Macbook line, if there will, it'll just be a cpu bump, not a total hardware change. I could be wrong, and some other threads are hypothesizing about it, but it just doesn't make any sense at the moment.

If you need it now, buy it. If you want to save $129 or whatever Leopard will be for you ($69 if you're a student), then wait.

P.S. I know you're new, but it's "Mac" not "MAC" ;)

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Apple is pretty good at improving their quality constantly. What you are going to get with a new model is faster & more powerful processors, but also the fixes for the problems that were encountered in previous models. Now, this certainly doesnt mean that there wont be any issues - but usually they are when a company tries NEW technology for the first time (ie- the backlit LED displays on 15" Pro's). The LCDs are great quality and solid performers. As are the HDs and the rest of the hardware. There is always the chance of a hardware failure (these things are made on assembly lines), but if there is, rest assured Apple will take care of it expediently. I had a HD failure ~5 weeks after I got my MBP. I was on a trip in San Francisco, CA at the time. I took it to the Apple store down the street, they shipped it off to a repair center. 2 days later, my fully repaired and completely restored MBP arrives at my front door down by Santa Barbara, CA. Best service and I havent had a problem since.

So, all that to say... buy a new one, you wont regret it. I would just suggest waiting till Leopard comes out and its preloaded, but thats just me and what I would do. I already have it preordered for my MBP... cant wait! Should only be a couple weeks now!!

BTW, welcome to the club! and "MAC" is a hardware address for a network card or similar... "Mac" is the greatest hardware and software equipment you can buy! Enjoy!

crossingover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Thanks for your replies, you two convinced me to wait until macbook w/leopard comes out :)

Ah yes, Mac, not MAC (i'll remember that!)

Hopefully they will be in before the end of the year! (crosses fingers)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I have an important question for you: do you need it? If your current PC is doing ok, then wait as long as you can. The macbooks are bound to be updated by the end of the year (most likely before Thanksgiving, so that there will be a refreshed line ready for Christmas). If you can hold out until November (which won't be too much longer than Leopard anyways), you'll be able to get yourself a new OS and some updated hardware. Just a thought.

crossingover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
I don't think I would like aluminum laptops (scratching, durability, wireless signal), I prefer tough plastics. I'd be quite happy with an upgrade to santa rosa and leopard and the current macbook design :)

Guess i'll wait until November/December and see if Apple meets my wishes :D

GavinTing

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Singapore!
I don't think I would like aluminum laptops (scratching, durability, wireless signal), I prefer tough plastics. I'd be quite happy with an upgrade to santa rosa and leopard and the current macbook design :)

Guess i'll wait until November/December and see if Apple meets my wishes :D

Uhh.. Not many people have that complain with the aluminum MBPs... The metal doesn't scratch that easy does it? The plastic on the other hand...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.