Soon to be iPhone Owner, Few Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mx887, Aug 11, 2010.

1. mx887 macrumors newbie

My Verizon contract ends the 22nd and I plan on switching to ATT for the iPhone that day. I have a few questions, try to be easy on me as I have researched and answered alot on my own but wanted to confirm some things.

1. Can you buy the iPhone at the Apple store if you need to create a totally new ATT account and port your number from another carrier?

2. Will you really run into problems with warranty issues if I brought my iPhone to an Apple store down the road despite buying it at ATT? (This is important because although there is an Apple store within a reasonable distance there are more ATT stores with iPhone availability) I would prefer to get it at the Apple store but they seem to be out of stock more often.

3. iPhone can sync with Outlook Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Notes correct? I am coming off a Blackberry so my Outlook has everything.

4. The 30 day guarantee where you can return without hassle, does this include getting out of your ATT contract? Although I have checked I'm worried about coverage.

5. Another question on coverage. I live in Central Connecticut and go to school outside of Boston. Coverage looks excellent for both voice and 3G on the ATT maps, are these accurate assumptions?

6. Do I need to notify Verizon I am leaving or anything or can everything be done at the Apple or ATT store since my contract is ending?

Thank you:apple:

Can't wait to get the iPhone, been wanting it for years and I can no longer resist.

2. frosse macrumors 6502a

1. Can you buy the iPhone at the Apple store if you need to create a totally new ATT account and port your number from another carrier?
    Yes.

Don't know about the others bro.

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

First of all congratulations! You must be excited with anticipation!

2 no

3 yes

4 yes

5 yes

6 no

4. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Yes.
    No problem.
    You'll want to set it up so it syncs over the air, rather than having to plug it in periodically. If you use Outlook with a corporate exchange server, you'll be able to sync contacts, calendar and email over the air. You can sync notes with Gmail, but that's kind of hokey. Check out Evernote. There is no built in task management app, but there are many aftermarket ones available that are good. I am eagerly anticipating "Epic Win."
    No problem.
    Probably. Use the guarantee and go for it!
    Ask at the store. I don't think you have to talk to verizon. But make sure you have all your verizon contact details, including account number and pin/password, if any.
    Enjoy!

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is the biggie. It will sync with Outlook, but you shouldn't do that. You should setup your e-mail on the phone while it's NOT plugged into iTunes. Get it working without the computer's involvement so that your email and contacts all work correctly even if you haven't plugged in to the computer for a few days.

6. mx887 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Yes I am! Thanks a lot

Ok, thats excellent, I'm used to plugging in and syncing my BB everytime I wanna update so that will be a nice change and I have no problem only having to do that occasionally for Notes and tasks. My Outlook is an exchange account with my college so I think it should work.

Thanks

Ok, perfect, good to know

7. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

6. come here to check your #'s eligibility
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/transfer-your-number/

last time i read an article saying you need to let you old provider know that the # has been transferred. but i just found this.

so i think the answer is no:)

8. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The other posters have all the other questions correctly answered. For this one though, the maps aren't always as accurate as AT&T makes them out to be.

9. runastun564 macrumors newbie

Porting the number is easy just tell the guy at apple and he'll ask you the account number and last 4 digits of the account holders social security number

10. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

You have gotten answers to most everything else, but when it comes to the Outlook sync, you must know that Tasks will not sync to the phone without an addtional app. And then it is not the same as what you may be used to with a Blackberry.

I sync my Outlook with my computer via USB and have had no problems, so doing it over the air is a personal preference. Enjoy your phone.

Also, all service providers maps are based on engineering studies and best case scenario, so take them with a grain of salt.

11. mx887 thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes sense, thanks

Haha yah I figured that, will just have to test and see

Good deal, thanks

Oh I see thats alright since tasks is my least used feature in outlook.

12. roffir macrumors member

Where outside of Boston?
    Ive never had any problem in Boston or even outside of Boston all the way to western mass. You'll find pockets of little service here and there, but besides that I've never had a problem, always had 3-5 bars...

13. mx887 thread starter macrumors newbie

Waltham, thats real good to hear

14. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Great service outside Boston

Hey OP...I go to school outside of Boston as well and get great reception! I've never had an issue at my college and consistently receive full 3G there. I can't wait to return back with my new iP4!

15. roffir macrumors member

I'm going to assume bentley:), but I worked in newton for a while (close enough) and never had problems...

16. mx887 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice!

Haha quite possibly;) good stuff

17. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Babson FTW!

18. mx887 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, debatable