Soon to be iphone user, what am i missing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSkier, Dec 26, 2008.

1. iSkier macrumors regular

Hi, i own an ipod touch and love the app store and such. I am going to be upgrading to the iphone in february, which apps for the iphone specifically should i get? What am i missing?

2. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Since the iPhone is basically featured with everything you would need, and due to the App Store's limitations on accepting Apps, there aren't too many apps that are a necessity.

Basically just download what you need. I would recommend finding some games you like, a nice wikipedia app, and the voice recognition dialer and google voice search app.

And don't bother jailbreaking. It's not worth the instability and potentially bricking of your phone. Other than making your phone look bloated- I mean- installing themes, it's not really worth it for any apps. And, from what I've seen on my friend's jailbroken phone, half the Cydia/Installer apps want you to give them money from Pay Pal.

Have fun with your soon to be phone,
    TS

3. carson44 macrumors member

And don't bother jailbreaking. It's not worth the instability and potentially bricking of your phone. Other than making your phone look bloated- I mean- installing themes, it's not really worth it for any apps. And, from what I've seen on my friend's jailbroken phone, half the Cydia/Installer apps want you to give them money from Pay Pal.

Jailbreaking doesnt really make your phone that unstable. and there are alot of apps besides themes when you jailbreak. i would say definitly jailbreak. if you havent already on your ipod touch you will like all the benefits

Theres NO chance of bricking your phone

4. iSkier thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you guys, I am definitely NOT going to jailbreak.

Would you also recommend the Incase Slider case? If not maybe another case?

5. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Just curious, why aren't you going to jailbreak?

6. iSkier thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I really like the look of the iPhone OS more than the jailbroken one. I also just want it how it is out of the box, and don't want to take any chances of something bad happening, like bricking.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You're not missing anything. Get it, turn it on and love it.

As you find you need new functions and uses, check the App Store and see if there's something there for ya. Boom.

Let it happen organically, don't pile stuff on cause you think you should or something. Just savour it in!

8. iSkier thread starter macrumors regular

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I don't recommend any.

10. iSkier thread starter macrumors regular

11. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

i have a Sena sleeve for my iphone... but that is all. i keep it naked unless it goes in my purse (thats what the sleeve is for).

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Mine does ;)

13. deadsouls macrumors regular

uhh they look exactly the same unless you actually use different themes.

14. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

15. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i never had any problems with mine and everything is free, i have never got asked to pay.
    the old icons got boring after 1+ year.
    loving it:
    [​IMG]

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Depends on what you want to do. I've downloaded a couple of games, ToDo, and some other utilities. Not much for me, because it already does most of what I want it to do.

17. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Visit the iPhone Accessories thread, there's tone of discussions about cases for the iPhone, and you can select whatever you want based on real opinions by other members.

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I recommend the slider case. Good protection and really slim too. I commend you on your decision not to jailbreak because I think it causes more problems than it solves with the App store out now. I really can't think of any iPhone specific apps that you NEED but there are some superfluous dialing apps and whatnot in the the store. Other than that, you're good to go. I'd wait on purchasing if they haven't released the 32GB by February, but MacWorld will give us a better timeline.