Soon to be new to Mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by intempo808, Dec 5, 2007.

1. intempo808 macrumors regular

Hey,
    Next year I am going to buy a Mac Mini. This will be my first Mac and I'm pretty excited I must say! Anyway, I have used Windows for my entire life ( I'm 15) and was wondering if someone could run through the basics on Mac OSX and basic things I need to know?

Thanks

2. GregE macrumors 6502

Congrats and welcome!!!! I'm just switching and actually just received my iMac today. Here is a link to Mac101 I found when looking for info on them. I think it will help you get familiar with them.

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Congrats as well and Mac Rumors will be very gracious in helping you with any questions or concerns. As GregE mentioned you will get a lot of training from the link he gave you. Incidentally, your only 15? You mentioned you've been using Windows your WHOLE LIFE? That made you sound like you were 30-40 not a kid still. At 15 your whole life isn't that long especially when it comes to using computers but again, welcome.;)

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The Mac101 guide GregE recommended is a good place to start. Many Switchers also find David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac" helpful. There isn't a Leopard version yet, but he does have a "Leopard: The Missing Manual" out. Maybe a new Switchers guide will follow soon. Best wishes.

5. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Congrats, you lucky dog!!! I've been using macs all my life, and I'm stuck with an old 1999 G4. A Mac Mini is a good choice for a Mac beginner. Also Mac101 is a great place to start after switching. Tell me exactly why you're switching.

6. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey,
    Thanks for the links. Yes, i am only 15... why is that so surprising. Lol...

Anyways, I'm switching because of a few reasons:
    -I hate Windows XP- it never works and its hellishly slow...
    -I love all Apple products i have had before- i have had three iPod's and i now have an iPod Touch and was overly impressed with it...
    -I have used a few Mac's at my local Apple Store and they are amazing... Apple really pay attention to detail, e.g. the bouncing icons in the dock.
    -Apple seem to actually test their products well and thoroughly before they ship, Microsoft didn't with Windows Vista.
    -Apple had a hard time before the iPod, and all Microsoft want to do is take it away from them with the Microsoft Zune thing... so I'm all up for helping Apple (even if they don't need it)
    -I'm an aesthetics person, and PC's don't look good. Mac's do.
    -Mac's may be expensive, but from what i have seen, they are well worth the money.
    -I want to be different from all my friends.
    -I love how iTunes works and looks, I'm guessing that the other applications in Mac OSX work the same and look the same.
    -There are apparently a hell of a lot less viruses for Mac.

There's a lot of reasons, i know...lol. But i also have some concerns about compatibility etc. For instance, will my webcam work, because it has this feature where it tracks my face so I'm always in the image?

Anyway, there will undoubtably be more questions as and when i think of them.

7. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

Hey, Im 15 too!

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its probably going to be very easy (e.g. no books needed) to switch, but if you have teething problems, the Macrumors Beginners Guides are great :)

9. intempo808 thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! Im almost 16... but anyways...

I already use Safari, iTunes and QuickTime for Windows and they're all awesome. I love iTunes the most, it rocks. So i have used some things before. I think he hardest thing to get used to will be going to the left instead of the right to maximize, minimize and close pages. Also, is there a Mac OSX equivalent of Windows' "My Document", "My Music", "My Pictures" etc.?

I take it that my iPod Touch's interface is pretty similar to Leopard, or is it more similar to Tiger? On the Apple website, it only says it runs OSX, but which one is most like... I mean so far, i have been really impressed with OSX on my iPod, but i don't know how similar it is to the full version on Mac. I've only used Mac's briefly for about 10 minute periods about two times.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Regarding your first question, yes. These folders don't have the "My" prefix, and are all found in your Home folder. I don't know the answer to your second question, though, since I don't have an iPod touch.

11. tycsteel macrumors newbie

I got my first macbook when i was 15 and it was an easy transition if ur at all familiar with computers it should be easy. there a lot of fun and well worth the money have a great time with it very fun stuff

12. adrake86 macrumors regular

Welcome and glad you are getting a mac. If you are looking for a mac mini I have a used one I could part with for about 350ish. Works great just pm me thanks! :)

13. Frisco macrumors 68020

It's nice to see the youth switching to the Mac! Apple is doing something right.