Soon to be switcher

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by match311, Jul 13, 2007.

1. match311 macrumors member

I am an Aerospace engineering going into my fourth year of study (im on the "five year" program). Since my dell is having motherboard failures (and its about 3.5 yrs old) I decided now is the best time to switch. Now I am stuck between a black macbook and the 2.2 macbook pro (as are most people in this topic). That said may laptop needs to be portable enough to go with me everywhere on campus and perform the usual internet surfing, music, photos and word processing. As an Aero engineer I may need to still do some 3d modeling for classes (probably pro e or solidworks) but I am not positive. I see there are some engineer grads here, did you utilize your gpu's that much this late in the degree? My budget is ready for either option. Is the macbook pro more cumbersome to the point I wont want to carry it in my backpack? Can a 2gb macbook handle the 3d modeling? Any help is greatly appreciated.

:apple:

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

The macbook pro is only .3 pounds heavier that the macbook so its a question of size, if your backpack can hold the mbp i'd go for, otherwise go for the macbook, i'm not sure but I think that it could handle it

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Most likely, if a backpack can hold a mb, it will be able to take a mbp. Only the really small backpacks can't handle the size of the mbp.

OP, since you're almost done with school, sign up for ADC and get a really decked out mbp:cool:

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I concur. I think the macbook pro would be better suited for your needs, now and after college. It can handle solid works GREAT in parallels. I have no problems and as you can see by my sig, I don't even have a C2D. Really, there is little size difference as people have mentioned. The MBs have more room taken up in the bezel too. If you will be doing any modeling or presentations etc, the extra screen size (and possible matte option) is really nice to have IMO.

I fit it in my backpack and shoulder bags just fine with no problem. It's really not too much bigger then a large text book. You should have no problem with it fitting into most bags.

I would do the ADC thing too like was mentioned above, or even look in the refurb store (they just lowered refurb prices) 1499 for a 2.16! Not a bad deal. Add on the Nano (I think you still get it on the refurb models too as long as you are a student) and printer and that will pay for your applecare!

MBP all the way.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The free Nano is only if you buy a new Mac. Sorry. Otherwise, I agree with your post. MBP is much better:D

6. match311 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. It seems like mbp is the way to go. I was kinda hoping for that answer.

:apple:

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

No problem:) Welcome. It's going to be an easy switch:D

8. seahawk09 macrumors regular

It's nice to see the Mac getting attention it deserves it been far to long. :D

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

the larger and higher res screen is well worth it. if you check the forums, there are many "mbp vs mb" size comparison threads, and even one of our users made a little diagram that shows the size difference, I'll go find it then edit this post.

Edit: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=3915525#post3915525

Here we discuss the size difference.

10. match311 thread starter macrumors member

11. match311 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. very cool