Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

houssein31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
If I preorder the iPhone 6 online as soon as it is announced, will I receive it sooner than if I preorder it hours later?

Does it make a difference?

And how soon do you think I would receive it if I preordered it as soon as it is announced?

Thank you

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
If I preorder the iPhone 6 online as soon as it is announced, will I receive it sooner than if I preorder it hours later?

And how soon do you think I would receive it if I preordered it as soon as it is announced?

Thank you

For a start, hopefully we'll be able to pre-order again this year, last year for the 5s we could only order it.

I pre-ordered the 5 straight away and it came on release day. Pre-orders should go live this Friday with the release of the phone the Friday after.

If you wait a few hours, that may delay it, you just can't be sure how many people will pre-order it straight away, I can tell you though, a LOT of people will be waiting to pre-order ASAP.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home

Thank you

Yes. If they do pre-orders. They did with iPhone 5, and the shipping estimate moved back 2 weeks within hours of pre-order being available.
iPhone 5s didn't do pre-order afaik. Either way, likely stock constrained if ordering online, earlier the order, better the shipping time

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
If I understand your question correctly, you're asking if there's a difference between ordering at lets say 12:01 am and 7:00 am on the same day. I don't think there would be a difference.

Obviously, if you pre order a day later, your order could be delayed because by then the first batch of phones might have already been spoken for.

Ashtar

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
For a start, hopefully we'll be able to pre-order again this year, last year for the 5s we could only order it.

I pre-ordered the 5 straight away and it came on release day. Pre-orders should go live this Friday with the release of the phone the Friday after.

If you wait a few hours, that may delay it, you just can't be sure how many people will pre-order it as soon as you can, I can tell you though, a LOT of people will be waiting to pre-order ASAP.

Did you pre-order your 5 from Apple or a carrier?

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007

Thank you

You can't preorder as soon as it is announced. Apple will tell us when the preorders start, and it's usually several days later at midnight pacific, which means its 3am on the east coast.

If you order as close to midnight as possible, you will likely get it on launch day. The earliest anyone can get it is launch day.

The thing you have to worry about is if you wait until too long after midnight on the preorder night, the shipping availability may start to slip. So it goes from getting your phone on launch day to getting it a week or two later, etc. As they sell out of each phase, the shipping date slips further back.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011

Thank you

If I recall correctly the pre-order for ip5 changed from 2 weeks to 3-4 weeks within a matter of an hour or two. I would say the earlier you can get online and order the earlier you will get the phone.

HOWEVER Apple loves to underpromise and overdeliver so you will get it in a timely manner (hopefully!)

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Did you pre-order your 5 from Apple or a carrier?

Opps, sorry, that would help, from the Apple Store app.

If you do pre-order online make sure to do it through the app than through the website. Through the app was painless and quick for me when I done it.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
If I understand your question correctly, you're asking if there's a difference between ordering at lets say 12:01 am and 7:00 am on the same day. I don't think there would be a difference.

I wouldn't bet on that. In fact, I'm pretty confident the pre-orders will have backed up shipping dates after a few hours of being open.

:apple:

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I'll be up at 2:45am my time (I'm on the east coast) and ready to order at 3am on the nose so I can avoid a backorder...hopefully.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As has been stated, if and when preorders are opened then buying early only gets you the phone on launch day and no earlier.

Apple contracts with FedEx and UPS to deliver on launch day. Apple has very specific contracts with the shippers and if they ship early they can get nailed. UPS and FedEx make every effort to prevent that because they can lose the contract in the future. However, it still happens. Some iPhone 5s (plural, not 5 "s") got delivered a day early or so.

If Apple is planning on preorders then right now Apple would be putting the finishing touches on it's staging plans. iPhones would have been shipped in to staging facilities since July or so and would be sitting there waiting to be bought and then shipped. Depending on destination phones will move faster or slower in the system.

I preordered my iPhone 5 and was able to find where it was through a ordering trick. It sat on the ramp in a UPS air container in Louisville for three days before taking a 3-4 hour flight from there to Phoenix (which I tracked thanks to Flightaware.com and some easy detective work to discover the UPS flight number).

I got my iPhone on launch day at 3pm.

turbo350z

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2014
If I recall correctly the pre-order for ip5 changed from 2 weeks to 3-4 weeks within a matter of an hour or two. I would say the earlier you can get online and order the earlier you will get the phone.

HOWEVER Apple loves to underpromise and overdeliver so you will get it in a timely manner (hopefully!)

I ordered my ip5 from verizon at 9am the day pre order started and I got it same day as launch.

Side note, anyone order over the phone at midnight? Or only available over the web? Also does verizon have an app or only apple?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Obviously, if you pre order a day later, your order could be delayed because by then the first batch of phones might have already been spoken for.

2 years ago, shipping estimates slipped within a matter of a few hours.

I wouldn't bet on that. In fact, I'm pretty confident the pre-orders will have backed up shipping dates after a few hours of being open.

My experience as well.

I ordered my ip5 from verizon at 9am the day pre order started and I got it same day as launch.

Side note, anyone order over the phone at midnight? Or only available over the web? Also does verizon have an app or only apple?

Many did not have this experience.

djantzz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Hello all,

I've tried searching but answers were all over the place. I know my credit card will get charged when the phone ships, but typically how long after the pre-order does it ship? I have never bought anything on apple.ca.

Thanks

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hello all,

I've tried searching but answers were all over the place. I know my credit card will get charged when the phone ships, but typically how long after the pre-order does it ship? I have never bought anything on apple.ca.

Thanks

I'm not sure about credit cards but with debit cards you want to make sure you have the full amount in the account before ordering or it will not go through.

There is an initial hold placed on the card and it will drop off. Eventually the actual charge will go through and that's when you know it shipped. That happens Monday or Tuesday of the following week.

djantzz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
I'm not sure about credit cards but with debit cards you want to make sure you have the full amount in the account before ordering or it will not go through.

There is an initial hold placed on the card and it will drop off. Eventually the actual charge will go through and that's when you know it shipped. That happens Monday or Tuesday of the following week.

Perfect, that answers my question, thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.